ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the help of some others.... the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, and crankshaft seal are done. The timing is also now at 14 degrees.

I haven't driven the Miata in like 3 weeks (neon D.D.), and after finally getting done with the maintenance, drove it yesterday after getting the timing right. It doesn't seem nearly as peppy as it did before from like 2,000 rpms - 4,000 rpms? Above that it pulls pretty hard I think. Almost like my powerband has changed? I thought the 14* was supposed to increase low end more--am I wrong?

I was just reading another post about a guy's mechanic doing the work and 1st feels like 3rd gear. It's not that bad! Just wondering now. I might have someone else drive it, maybe it's just me lol. #-o

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Do over. Your timing belt is likely off by one tooth. There should be 19 belt teeth between the vertical timing marks on the cam sprockets. as shown here. Pretty soon you'll be an expert at doing timing belts you'll be able to do it in your sleep. The first time I did a timing belt I forgot to tighten the t-stat housing to the block. When I started it up there was a massive coolant leak. I had to take everything back off as the rear plate behind the cam gears was blocking my access to the two bolts I forgot to tighten down.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the 19 tooth rule. I marked the old belt and the cam sprockets, and then transferred the marks to the new belt and made sure there was 19 teeth in between. The belt never moved off those marks (I made sure). What else could have happened? Could the crank have moved off TDC? I assumed it would be hard to move it. :?
Confused. Damn DOHC's! My SOHC Neon wasn't this hard :lol:

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
It's tricky getting all 3 sprockets lined up. Working by myself it took me an hour and dozens of attempts to get the belt on right. But then I'm a crappy mechanic. It's worth another inspection. All you've got to do is pull the cam cover off to see.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's tricky getting all 3 sprockets lined up. Working by myself it took me an hour and dozens of attempts to get the belt on right. But then I'm a crappy mechanic. It's worth another inspection. All you've got to do is pull the cam cover off to see.
How am I going to know? Just wondering what I'm supposed to be looking for when I pull the cam cover off. Thanks :D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Get the Sprockets liked up at TDC then check to make sure the crank is at TDC too. If it is try rotating the crank two full rotations and double check. If it still dosen't run right start over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts