ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Supporting Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of 914 seats for $35 on CL last night! Basically looking for any ideas on how to mount these things up once I get them reupholstered, since the inserts are looking rough! They have all the factory top sliders on them minus the tilt lever but I've found a spot for them if they can be incorporated.

Also I was thinking about adding some metal grommets ala Nakamae or maybe in the 240Z style. I'm still debating what material though, basketweave, smooth or maybe even houndstooth.

Any ideas/experience would be greatly appreciated while I collect parts, will start this after the new years.

First pic is what they look like now, 2nd is factory basketweave, 3rd is Nakamae, 4th is the 240Z seat, 5th is houndstooth ... any other options? And no Hello Kitty but thanks anyway!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Those look totally awesome. That would be completely at home in an NA.

My recommendation: perforated leather for the center section. Definitely ribbed like in the pix, but perforated like that 2nd pic. Much more comfortable. And even though it's a bit more modern look, it should look great with the slightly more modern 94 you have.

Can't wait to see these mounted!

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
whoa, those'll be soooo sick in a NA!

how do the stock Porsche sliders mount...you could make a couple brackets outta plate metal, drill some holes to match the Porsche pattern and a couple more to fit the Mazda sliders.

·
Enlarged Member
461 Posts
Bahh!

I've been looking for a set for six months now!

Cant wait to see how they fit.

I was thinking I'd build some wide [_______] brackets like this to bolt into the bottom mounting points, and then bolt those into a set of side brackets.

·
Supporting Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, still debating on how to do the upholstery, I know the grommets would probably leave a few branding marks, I also remember how hot black vinyl gets too so I'm debating between the basketweave or maybe a black suede/alcatara center. I'm still getting price quotes but I think I'm going to go down to the guy who installed my top that has an upholstery shop and see what he'll charge as well.

I had a spare set of Miata seats, wish I'd held on to them now to figure out what all I have to work with but I've been finding alot of info out there on how to fab up what I need. Looking at all the 914's to get ideas though has really made me want one again, I was originally on a 914 search when I stumbled upon a Miata 13 years ago!

Once I finally get into install mode I'll keep y'all posted, most of this will be financed with the tax return next year but should go quickly enough after that.

Kelly ... I wasn't even looking for these, was bored and surfing CL ... an hour after I saw the ad though they were sitting in my garage!

·
Registered
113 Posts
They look cool, but the only ones I sat in weren't exactly what I'd call an upgrade from NA seats (other than the lowness). Maybe look at upgrading the stuffing a bit?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I know a lot of Austin-Healey Sprite / MG Midget owners like 914 seats for the same reason they like Miata seats: they're cheap and they fit narrow cockpits.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice find, originally the seats have no actual rails where it lets the seats move, they (in a 914) are mounted to the floor, so if you can retro fit the na miata rails in it the seats should work. Good luck.
Oh, and if you happen to find a set of german spec chrome bumpers, I need a set for my 73 1.7

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just picked up a set of 914 seats yesterday for a project I'm working on - I came across them when looking for interesting seats on my own. I don't think it'll be too hard to adapt a set of Miata seat sliders to fit them, but they are going to need some massaging on foam shape to make them more comfortable and give a bit more lateral support. I've got several ideas on how to do that. I also borrowed one that had been set up for racing with no inner foam at all, and the basic shape is good.

Plus I can easily carry three of them at a time - they're light!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'll have some pictures up later, including a test fit in a Miata. Shouldn't be hard to adapt the sliders, I think this will be a pretty easy job.

·
Supporting Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, saw it posted on m.net too. I'm still out on a decision to bump this up on my project list ... can I get more pics? Keith has alot more at his disposal to make the job look easy plus mine still need to be reupholstered, not sure if the looks to price ratio is worth it to me yet?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice timing, I just did it yesterday. Here are the pics.

I adapted the Miata sliders. It was actually really simple. I welded a 1" strap across the top of the sliders at the front, then a piece of 3/4" angle 11" further back. The 3/4" was so it would slip into a recess on the bottom of the seat. I could probably have used angle on the front as well, I realize now. The advantage of that is that it's stronger, but the way the rest of it was mounted it's not important on the rear. I added a couple of spacers at the front (about 3/4" I think, they're Miata seatbelt spacers).

I drilled holes in the bottom of the seat and ran 8mm bolts through them to captive nuts I'd welded to the bottom of the mounts. Big fender washers spread the load. A better option would have been to space that front strap up from the sliders by 3/4" instead of adding the spacers - and I just realized I have some 3/4" square tube that would have done the job just fine instead of the bar. Whoops. Well, next time :) Most of the weight is supported at the rear on the angle iron so I think it'll be good. There's also a decent sized "foot" on the spacer to spread the load. But I may rework them.

I used an NB set of sliders because they have an integrated seatbelt mount.

Foamectomy. No surprises to Miata people.

Finished product in the car. I'm going to let Eric do the deep cleaning on the upholstery :)

They're definitely not race seats. They're comfy enough with the foamectomy, but they need more aggressive foam removal on the bottom and the back to get more lateral support. I'd like to make cushions out of Backsaver foam for maximum comfort and driver retention. I'll let Eric do that too. At the moment, they're good daily driver seats which suits this car pretty well.

Denny, what other pics do you want?

Tools at my disposal that were used:
Welder
Sawzall
Drill
Spray paint

Nothing terribly exotic.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts