ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a project tonight. Always wanted some extra gauges but didn't like much of what I have seen. I came across a very tight looking gauge pod for 93-95 RX-7 that is supposed to mount in the center surround speaker hole for those cars, loved the look and had to have one.

Here we go. This will be messy - duplicate at your own risk

Here is the pod just stuck on the dash. The angle is wrong so some material needs to come off the backside so gauges are level

This is what the underside of this looks like (with the speaker adapter removed) needed to cut off all these bosses

Marked the areas to be removed with tape

Remove excess material with Dremel cutting blade

Dress the edges with a file. Angle is now right it's time to figure out how to mount it

This will be a "spare time" build.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did about twice as much material removal as what is shown above, the pod still has to be ground to fit the slight curve of the dash.

Next thing was I could not find any gauges I liked that match the simple black and white theme of the stock Miata dash. I also didn't want red needles and chrome rings to keep the look clean.

So I went and built a set of the gauges I wanted using the AutoMeter Custom Shop. My 91 already has functioning temp and oil pressure gauges so for these three I chose oil temp, vac/boost and voltage. Voltage is relevant to me because the car is a garage queen.

Here is the gauge configuration tool on the site, you can choose everything about the gauge. Face color, font, font color, needle style and color, bezel, glass, illumination color.

I tried to spec out as clean a look as possible it's all black and white, font is close as possible to stock and key is the white needle and clean scale

Checked out the selection prior to pulling the trigger by shopping them in the pic above. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think this looks good, look how clean this is without a chrome bezel, no red needle, no whack colors on the face. I admit this is conservative but it's the look I am going for

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I like the cut of your jib. I've been working on a similar project (used some old instructions from an RX7 forums for making a DIY gauge pod, plus a few improvements of my own), but I've been working a lot of overtime lately so my progress has been unbearably slow. :(

·
Registered
451 Posts
love the fuel additive warning ^

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting that I'm suprised they aren't more well known. I checked them out and they look like a dead-on match for the stock gauges so I cancelled the custom shop order and did a re-do with ISSPro. It was cheaper too.

Love the gauge mounts btw!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Finally made some more progress on my project.

I think I've got the tombstone shelf pretty much ready, so now I'm working on giving it a fresh coat of black paint. Then I still need to get the rest of my wiring in place and finish up the gauge cups and clamps.

Any updates on yours, 72bacon?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts