ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wuddup, didn't know where to post, on a time crunch so i'll be blunt >.>

I have a 94 NA miata with stock torsen lsd, and it is my drift slut.
I keep reading that I should weld it to drift, yet straight lsd seems fine for me..
I am aware of the differential types, but am unsure if I should weld this, or if I even can..
Let me know, here's my set up so far, in case you're wondering;)

Specs:
-Slammed on tein basics
-Whiteline rear and front swaybars
-beatrush strutbars
-hard dog roll bar (ordered)
-greddy shortshifter and knob
-stock NA 1.8 dohc
-polyU front lip
-gay ass konig feather golds, trying to trade for some XXR 522's
-2.5inch exhaust

So far, this build is amazing, especially since i'm a high school student on a budget >.>
I'm just worried that down the road something will happen via the lsd, and am hoping to
do something about it soon while I have the money.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Don't weld your Torsen. If and when you are looking to upgrade an aftermarket clutch type diff should be on your mind for drift use.

edit: Don't worry too much about the Torsen. They don't wear out. They either function or are broken. The 1.8 Miata rear is also pretty robust and will last forever under stock power levels. Change your fluid now and then and enjoy that diff!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a clutch type like out of an rx-7? and then weld that? or do those come welded? I really just don't see a need for welded when I has this great lsd >.> maybe down the road though.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
one like out of an rx-7?
I wouldn't bother. Probably a step down from your Torsen considering the 7's clutch type and will likely be due for an overhaul. Kaaz, Cusco, OSG, Tomei when you out grow the Torsen.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I don't know anything about drifting these but do some searching about knuckles and tie rods. Steering angle seems to be the key to help defeat the low power and short wheel base. Lots of info out there and @ roadsterdrift.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts