·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
949Racing XIDA Coilover Project

Announcing the 949Racing XIDA coilovers

90-05 Miata MX5
Developed for 949Racing by AST USA

The ultimate off the shelf Miata racing coilover system. Just like the 6UL wheel, I couldn't find what I needed for my time attack project car at what I felt was a reasonable price so I decided to make my own.
Available exclusively through 949Racing and built to our specs, the XIDA's are a no compromise coilover system

949Racing Coilover features

• Full aluminum construction
  • Monotube
  • Separate compression and rebound adjustments - 20 way
  • Aluminum hats
  • Spherical bearing upper and lower mounts
  • Remote reservoir
  • 700/400 standard rates
  • Hyperco 60m or 2.25" springs standard
  • Dual spring system, main and tender
  • Approximate weights 8.8 lbs front, 7.5 lbs rear (light!)
  • Tuning and service available at Vorshlag in Texas or AST distributors worldwide
  • $3800 shipped
Standard valving will work with:
500~800 front springs
350~500 rear springs

Custom spring rates no charge. Custom valving optional. Make no mistake, these are stiff purpose built racing shocks and unless you specify otherwise, that's what you will get. They can also be configured to build the ultimate dual purpose system that would work as well as most purpose built race shocks and still have enough adjustment range to be quite plush on the street.

Dyno plots for our Xida (double adjustable) and Xida-S (single adjustable)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
crap i wish i had the money... who will be manufacturing your coilovers? tein?

going thru and independent manufacture to get it customed?

i know it has been made yet. what about shock rebuild's? thoughts...

creating a well-round picture.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crap i wish i had the money... who will be manufacturing your coilovers? tein?

going thru and independent manufacture to get it customed?

i know it has been made yet. what about shock rebuild's? thoughts...

creating a well-round picture.
Fully serviceable, waranteed by Tein just like any other Tein product. It's just a new Tein part number but wil only be available through 949Racing.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Re: 949Racing coilovers

hmmmm, interesting read on a new option. Subscribed! =D>

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Does Tein really have the Super Racing coilovers for the Miata? It's not listed even on their japanese website.

Also- the price point is pretty high. How about the Tein Monoflex- why not ask Tein to bring in the MonoFlex. It's already released for the Miata in Japan, and it's a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does Tein really have the Super Racing coilovers for the Miata? It's not listed even on their japanese website.

Also- the price point is pretty high. How about the Tein Monoflex- why not ask Tein to bring in the MonoFlex. It's already released for the Miata in Japan, and it's a cheaper alternative.
There is no Super Racing for the Miata, I'm just using that as a reference since they have the same features. Understand these are an entirely new coilover made just for 949Racing. They have made a few N1's but never released them to the public. Tein offered the HA and RA here in the past and just released the Mono in Japan

I'm also working on getting a US spec version of the Mono Flex with Tein but that will be a regular Tein part number, green and all. The US spec Mono Flex will be a different, slightly stiffer valving and possibly stiffer sprung than the current JDM spec Mono.

The Mono Flex is not really an alternative to 949Racing sytem. The Mono is basically like the current steel bodied single adjustable Flex only monotube and with the MSV feature. The Mono Flex will also be tuned as a dual purpose damper like the Flex, not a pure race damper like mine.

The price point of the 949Racing coilover is not for everybody obviously.

Up until now you have had to pay $3500 to get separate compression and rebound adjustments in a Miata race coilover. The Honda and Nissan guys have had those features at $2500 for a long time. We got left behind by the vendors. I'm fixing that.

You have simple $600 setups through to to Flex at $1400, Mono flex on it's way at about $1600. Then single adjustable Ohlins DFV at $2500. Big hole. I don't count JIC A2's because they don't offer any substantial benefit over the Flex despite costing $400 more.
The next step is basically custom one-off Koni races at about the price of DFV's then Koni 2812's, Penskes and the like at $3000-$4500

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow, Emilio, you really put the effort in to get what you want. I love my 6ULs and really love my TEIN Flex coilovers so I can't imagine how good this setup is going to be.

BTW, considering all the features, I think the price looks pretty good.

·
Registered
405 Posts
This looks promising. Everyone else I have talked with about a double adjustable shock has fallen though. Ill be talking with you in a bit about these emilio!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Always nice to see another option on the market. Kudos for your hard work Emilio.

What JGTC or WRC teams is Tein involved with? I was fairly certain the highest form of racing Tein was involved in in Japan was Super Tichu (sp). They may market in JGTC, but I didn't think thier products or employees were used there.

Also, what sway bar set up are you using with those spring rates?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: 949Racing coilovers

The WRC team is a Corolla from a few years ago. The JGTC I thought was the GT350 class in an MR-S, again from a while ago ago I think. So maybe it's the other series you mentioned.

Anti-roll bars depend on the driver. I steer a lot of guys towards softer bars, particularly if they are daily driven. My turbo has an RB 1.125 tubular but I've had good luck with the small OE bars and the relatively small FM bars. So there is no set solution.

I'm kicking around the idea of making my own bars becasue everything that's out there now has something I don't like about it. I really want a modular front that uses the stock center pivot brackets and a 12mm adjustable rear. Yet another project..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts