ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi yall, for some reason i felt the need to document all my thoughts and progress on my 96 so i can finally get it away from stock form as much as possible. Sorry if this seems like its just clutter to everyone!! :fp: Hopefully i'll be able to get responses for things i need help with here.

I've had my car for about 2 years now and the most ive modified it is the headless stereo system. Everything else is pretty much stock. i origionally bought this car as a DD and figured id make it a fun DD. It's also at 187,xxx miles.

Near Future Plans (in no particular order):
- clutch/flywheel/rear main seal service (very soon)
- smog check and registration (by May '12)
- springs and shocks (havent decided exactly yet, but leaning towards FM Vmaxx.)
- poly bushings
- FM sway bars
- stiffer engine mounts
- butterfly brace
- steering wheel and quick release
- fender repeaters
- new paint job (had an accident 2 years ago and the front is a different color. :-/)
- spare tire relocation under trunk and smaller muffler
- Seafoam!!

Completed:
- antenna delete (DONE 2/28/2012)
- stuff weather stripping lube window rails (DONE 2/28/2012)
- louder horn (DONE 2/28/2012)
- E-codes (TBCompleted)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
finally had a bit of quality time with the miata. got to do a few major things...

first i repacked the weather stripping using 2 pieces of 3/8th caulk backing foam. the wind noise difference is night and day. and no more leaking when it rains! stuffed it extra tight purposely for a nice tight seal. while i did that i also regreased the rails with bicycle lube and the windows raise and lower so much faster now.

ive been wanting to get a louder horn and went with an italian sound...

installed one in the stock location and one on the other side of the hood latch. love the new sound!

after doing the headless unit install i got around to doing the antenna delete. went to home depot and bought a chrome sink hole plug. looks like it was made for the car!

chrome goodness on the outside.

as i removed the carpet found a bunch of white powder coming from the negative lead of my battery. whats causing this? do i need a new battery?? :-/ you can see on the bottom left of the picture...

anyone know where this tube goes to? it was laying here when i took the carpets off...

·
Registered
128 Posts
anyone know where this tube goes to? it was laying here when i took the carpets off...

That's the vent for your battery, as for the white powder It's caused by the sulfuric acid used in batteries that produce hydrogen gas. When the battery is in use, small amounts of gas are released through the vent cap. These fumes combine with other things to form corrosion on your cables and terminals. It's fairly easy enough to clean up, i've heard that coke does a good job of eating the stuff but I wouldn't pour that in my trunk. Google search it and you'll get plenty of results. Use something that will remove it as well as neutralize any leftover residue. Also hook your vent back up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the vent for your battery, as for the white powder It's caused by the sulfuric acid used in batteries that produce hydrogen gas. When the battery is in use, small amounts of gas are released through the vent cap. These fumes combine with other things to form corrosion on your cables and terminals. It's fairly easy enough to clean up, i've heard that coke does a good job of eating the stuff but I wouldn't pour that in my trunk. Google search it and you'll get plenty of results. Use something that will remove it as well as neutralize any leftover residue. Also hook your vent back up.
i couldnt see where it was hooked up to. and in one of the before pictures the previous owner just left it wedged between the bar that holds the battery down. :-/ i was also thinking about getting a replacement battery soon, any suggestions?

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Looks like you have some good plans for it. I'm diggin' the antenna plug! You should consider replacing the radiator soon too. Brown rad = about to take a poop :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a part number for that antenna delete plug? Also, got any pics of what you re-greased for the windows? Mine are becoming a pain to roll up and down.
gotchu bro! ill get you some links. the bike stuff i borrowed from a friend that bikes alot.

sink plug, i made sure i got the screw on one so i can tighten the seal real well, and it already came with a gasket.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202732013/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=sink%20hole&storeId=10051

grease spray
http://www.amazon.com/Progold-Proli...I8AS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1330567548&sr=8-5

grease pen
http://www.amazon.com/ProGold-11017-Progold-Cable-Luber/dp/B000VSY97G/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

Looks like you have some good plans for it. I'm diggin' the antenna plug! You should consider replacing the radiator soon too. Brown rad = about to take a poop :lol:
how long do radiators last usually? and im waiting to find an aluminum one from a pick and pull again. ive found a few rx7 ones and i sold those for about 240 each. :slayer:

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is supposed to be a little tube on the battery that the hose hooks on to. Looks like the PO installed a battery not made for the miata. Miata's have a specific battery which kind of sucks because it makes it a little more expensive.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
how long do radiators last usually? and im waiting to find an aluminum one from a pick and pull again. ive found a few rx7 ones and i sold those for about 240 each. :slayer:
I'm not sure exactly, but I bought my car with 47k miles on it and it was already brown :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure exactly, but I bought my car with 47k miles on it and it was already brown :lol:
next time you see my engine ill paint it a different color. no more poopy brown. possible pink? :hello kitty:

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
gotchu bro! ill get you some links. the bike stuff i borrowed from a friend that bikes alot.
Awesome, thanks for the links! Where did you exactly spray the stuff? I've had my door panels off but I never know where to put this stuff...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, thanks for the links! Where did you exactly spray the stuff? I've had my door panels off but I never know where to put this stuff...
i wish i took a picture but its pretty much the thing that helps the window go up and down. its behind the plastic moisture barrier. im not able to post a picture because all the pictures i see online dont have it removed. :cry2:

i did find this though...
http://www.miata.net/garage/miata_window_tlc.html

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
been having crazy weather here with no garage to work in. i wanted to get started on fiber glassing the cubby but i dont have a garage to do it in. hopefully rain stops next week like what the weather man says.

anyways, that hasnt stopped me from doing a few things...

REVERSE GLOW GUAGES!!!

test fitting...

gotta CAREFULLY slip them over the stock guages but first you need to remove the screws then replace them after you get the guages in...

gunna be a tight fit when i close this. tight like a virgin...

had to cut into the black plastic to give the wires a way to get through, so i marked it then clipped them off...

can you see whats wrong here?? -__________-

had to piggy back...

removed the condoms cause i didnt like green needles...

yeeaahhhh buddyyyy!!! :)

when i was finding a power source i was told to grab it from the dimmer switch, when i took mine out i noticed there was another switch ziptied that worked like the regular dimmer switch. maybe a different option at the dealership?? one wire i used to grab power for the cluster, the other i used for a light-minder with a diode. :)

incase anyone was wondering i connected the lightminder with the diode to the blue/yellow wire here...

and after all is said and done, had a few of these bags i had no other use for... ^____^
also wondering if i made the right choice to put the alarm light next to the shifter there... ???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
NOW FOR FUTURE PROJECTS.

i removed the rotting old foam from the roll bar and this is what i find, smh... GOO GONE PLEASE!!

looks like a good reason to rebuild!!

went to the junkyard and grabbed one of these because my car didnt come with one from the dealership, anyone know where the connection is? i might just take the center console apart to see where it goes. maybe it didnt have one?? gotta find the colors to the connector i cut from the junkyard car.

last but not least. if i take apart the dash to find the connection for the light above, im going to be replacing the lights on the climate control. any recommendations on white leds?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
can you spot the difference?

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/547333_3258598338252_1065930033_3124642_1977486650_n.jpg

reflection of my coworkers TL wheel...
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552104_3258598698261_1065930033_3124643_1721870368_n.jpg

Started with 60 grit to shave down the letters, then wet sanded with 100, 200, 320, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. then used metal polish. i finished the fronts after i took these pictures and now on to the tail lights and 3rd brake light. damn what this rainy weather makes me do... haha.

in other news...

and got this today too. :) time to relocate the spare and have more room hauling stuff!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts