ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently broke my rear end. Looking into diff replacements locally at junkyards. I've found 2 convertible fc's 88 and 89. Called a dealership with the vin numbers and had them look on their computers to tell me which diff the cars have installed. Both open diffs.

Question is, can I use the pumpkin from either of them on my 97 na 1.8??

I don't know if they were turbo'd before, no engines in their bay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Useless as in?

I also checked out the other NA's, but their diffs have already been pulled.

It will work though right? I could always hunt down the fc's lsd another time.
Right now I just need to make my car driveable.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The pinion flange is what bolts up to your driveshaft. You would need the shaft shortened.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Theres a good thread on Miataturbo on what differentials will work, but I don't have the link right now.
If you do a quick search there it will pop up.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
I think this guy is asking if he can use the FC casing with the Miata pinion/diff assembly but can't explain it. In that case I think so.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Do the FC's have the stupid ass weak point on the arm like the miata housing does? I would assume so since it looks the same

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think this guy is asking if he can use the FC casing with the Miata pinion/diff assembly but can't explain it. In that case I think so.
Exactly, thank you lol; I've done my reading. I plan on using the short assembly that's on my miata (na 1.8)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do the FC's have the stupid ass weak point on the arm like the miata housing does? I would assume so since it looks the same
I wouldn't mind right now because I don't plan on rear ending a light pole again..

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
The actual aluminum housing that the diff bolts to is the same...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The actual aluminum housing that the diff bolts to is the same...

Ding ding ding!! We have my solution!! Much appreciated :D

Anyone against his say?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
4hrs under an rx7 and diff still not off... where the front half that mounts to the chassis is giving me trouble. I'll gave that thing off saturday morning

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
swapped out the housings. took 5hours to rip everything apart; disconnected hub assembly to pull out drive axles (since I have the newer NA that slips in instead of the bolt on ones), exhaust disconnected from where the cat convertor would be all the way to the muffler itself, removed "differential mounting tubes" (as Hayne's manual describes it), also had to disconnect the entire diff assembly from the torque arm (pain in the arse to put back on), loosened the suspension from inside the trunk to allow more free play for lower control arms.

both my 97 NA 1.8 open diff and the 88 rx7 convertible open diff housing measured all up EXCEPT the rubber mounts, which I found out after trying to mount the rx7 (with my NA diff internals) on my car....
so in turn I was stuck with, order diff mounts from stealership and wait about four days or fabricate.... trying to save money on this repair, I decided to cut the metal shafts inside the mounts to about the same size as my broken housing's bushings.
put it all back together after RTV-ing the ring and pinion section with the aluminum rx7 housing in about 2hrs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never want to do this again. :mad:
which means no more rear-ending poles..

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
You couldn't swap the mounts from the NA housing to the RX7 housing? Also you dont have to take apart the hub assembly to get out the axles. Just undo the top a-arm so the hub has play and you can yank out the axles by pulling on the hub

1 - 20 of 22 Posts