ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can get a 1.6 head from a 98 1.6 nb - i want it for my 91 1.6 na

has the 98 1.6 head a better flow-design than mine or is that improvement only at the 99 1.8 heads?

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Since we did not get the 1.6 since 1993, I have no Idea.

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WTF? :lol:
you see that german flag on the left side - that means i am normally speakin german and i TRY my best in writing english - so plz be indulgent with me - but i even understand WTF whatthefuck - ok? thx (i think you could understand what i want to know, even if the grammar and punctuation is not very well ;))

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
From what I have heard the later 1.6s are exactly the same as the older ones asside from some different electronics. but maybe someone in europe whould have better knowledge.

·
Registered
517 Posts
In my Jack Yamaguchi book about NBs it says this concerning the 1.6L

The Type B6 DOHC 16-Valve 1.6-liter

The B6 DOHC 4-cylinder engine is the latest, enhanced version of the B6-ZE which powered the original MX-5 Miata. In the first-generation series, it was replaced by the BP1836-cc unit for the 1994 model year (July 1993). However, in certain European countries, the B6 1.6 continued to power an entry version, to receive a favorable "under 90-bhp" insurance classification as well as lower pricing.

The B6-powered series has now been re-introduced in Japan as well as in Europe. For the latter, its power output is increased to 81 kW EEC (110 bhp) at 6,500 rpm with maximum torque of 134 Nm (99 ft-lbs) at 5,000 rpm on a 9.4:1 compression ratio. Subjected to less stringent emission standards than Europe's Step II, The Japanese version is rated at 125 PS and 14.5 kg-m (105 ft-lbs) at 5,000 rpm with the same compression ratio.

The B6 shares many of the larger unit's improvements including mechanical tappets, knock sensor, and electronically controlled EGR, but excluding the new cylinder head and VICS. The engine also continues with the ductile cast iron crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
They key here would be to find out what about the newer 1.6 they changed from the old one that we get in the states that made the HP difference.
Header? Compression ratio? They mention a 9.4:1 but I'm not sure what our 90-93's had for CR..
-Ryan

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
I wouldn't thought it worth it; easier to just drop in a 1.8, unless there is a legal reason you can't do this in Germany.

I bet the cost-to-change for a decent 1.8 and the FM kit is cheaper than overhauling and fitting a 98 1.6 head (unless its stupidly cheap), and being the guinea pig; will you have to perform aluminium welding for instance modding the intake manifold a la 1.8.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
No, the 1.8/1.6 head are not interchangable. The 1.8 is longer and the bore spacing is different.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
fwiw, i had my 1.6 head ported and polished. also shaved it and had the ports gasket matched. i noticed a difference naturally aspirated, definitely notice it force inducted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts