ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've retrofitted my previous car (06 accord) and didnt come across any rubber parts on the headlights. However, on my 99 miata headlights, there's a weather strip thing I believe that goes all around the lense of the headlight. I am pretty sure if I did not remove this rubber thing, it will melt when I bake it in the oven. I do notice that this weather strip type of thing is glued onto the headlight.

Would I just pull it apart or would the rubber be able to withstand 350F temps??? What if I completely destroy the rubber part when I remove it; is there a place I can buy a new set besides the stealership? :roll:

Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Im not sure what you are talking about as its been a while since I'v had them out, but you do not need your oven anywhere near 350. I put mine at the lowest setting for a very short time. I think I had my oven at 175. No damage was done to anything.
Do some research...But Im almost certain it was under 200, and I think I only needed to bake them for like 10 mins to effortlessly separate the lens and housing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
350F? Unnecessary. Go for 80C (about 180F) for ~10 minutes

doh, pachood beat me to it

·
Registered
552 Posts
I did LOW (~200) for just under 10 minutes and they pulled apart easily. Make sure you put the headlight on a towel or something so you don't burn it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts