ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, this is a college budget build. I am finishing up my second semester as a freshman on campus at UWO this week, so I'll be returning home to continue working on my Miata. Not sure how much I'll be working at my job but this thread could really slow down if I work a lot or when I go back to school, I do promise to update it with any progress I make though. Anyways, here goes a long post...

Here is a pic of the car before I bought it, the previous owner was at the track up here in Shawano:

Still at the track, size comparison. Yeah he's on the smaller side of things, but great guy!

I got the car in September 2010, already boosted. Bought it with the specs below making 190 rwhp and 200 rwtq.

Motor-related:
BEGI ceramic coated cast iron manifold
BEGI stainless steel divorced wastegate downpipe
BEGI fuel pressure regulator
Garrett GT2554R @ 10-12 psi
AVO front mount intercooler
AVO blow off valve
AEM fuel ignition controller tuned at Beyond Redline
AEM UEGO wideband AFR gauge
Walbro 190hp fuel pump
305cc injectors
Stewart Warner boost gauge
Voodoo III manual boost controller
OBX 2.36" cat-back exhaust
ACT heavy duty clutch

Suspension and Brakes:
15x7 +38 Kosei K1 rims
KYB AGX 8 way adjustable shocks
450lb/350lb springs with adjustable sleeves
Hawk HPS brake pads

Miscellaneous:
Boss Frog Clearview 6 point roll bar
Flyin' Miata frame rail reinforcement kit
Hella E-code H4 headlights - 6000K HIDs (both high and low beam)
Pioneer amp wired to 6.5" Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers
Smoked daytime driving lights
JVC CD player

Here is some pics a few days after I picked it up, I already removed some stickers and blacked out the sidemarkers. I also took off the flat black vented headlight lids and put on the stock, color matched lids. I will probably try to sell the vented lids.

Now it has ~131,000 miles. Since the pics above I've tucked away some small things in the engine bay, cleaned up the interior, rewired a bunch of stuff, and did a bunch of cleaning but nothing else too major.

Here it is in it's current state (excuse the crappy cell phone pic):

It's blowing smoke/liquid and very lean as well as idling like a bitch. Not sure what the problem is. If anyone is close and wants to lend a hand and getting her fixed, it'd be much appreciated. Although I did order all of these parts over winter to install now that it's warm, but I need to focus on getting the car running good again.

I couldn't wait to install this, so I threw it on in the cold weather. Wink 5-panel mirror:

205/50/15 Nitto NeoGen tires:

R-Package rear lip:

Touge Run (GV replica) front lip:

R-Speed hood lift kit:

Custom white-face gauges:

And I'm currently waiting for some NB Raceland coilovers with some NB top hats to arrive. I got a good deal on them and want to replace the tired suspension that the car is currently on, plus I would love to go quite a bit lower and maybe throw some spacers on the K1's :)

I'm also not sure if I should remove the pin-stripe that is peeled away on the passenger door already, or not. I'm leaning towards doing it once it gets warmer out, opinions?

At this point I'm not sure if the car needs a new headgasket, a rebuilt head, or what. I'm clueless. The car is acting really weird and throwing up bad compression numbers. I would love to get a Megasquirt with some bigger injectors and turn up the boost to make about 250 rwhp, but it's going to have to wait. I also have some small plans for the interior if money permits.

Sorry for such a long first post, but this thread will be updated as I make progress. Be sure to stay tuned!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks great and I hope your problems are something simple (and cheap). I question the use of gas strut hood lifts in Wisconsin. In winter weather, they aren't going to be lifting much and you temperatures get colder than mine (in the Toronto area).

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not bad buddy...ive got the same color car and love whats done with yours
Thanks man, hopefully I get her running good again soon.

Looks great and I hope your problems are something simple (and cheap). I question the use of gas strut hood lifts in Wisconsin. In winter weather, they aren't going to be lifting much and you temperatures get colder than mine (in the Toronto area).
I hope so as well, I'll be looking into it more this weekend. I needed the hydralic hood lift kit because the car didn't come with a hood prop, so I scored these for cheap as a good way to hold up the hood. I don't plan on driving or using the hood much in winter (storage), so we'll have to see how they hold up, that is a good point you've made.

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got around to installing the R-Speed hood lift kit that I ordered, yesterday.

Works great, much better than the wooden stick I was given when I bought the car!

I've also been working on finding out why my car has been running rough. I'm getting there. Here's a detailed thread if you're interested:
http://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=58101

I also shot this pic today, thought it was pretty cool.

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got the car running today! I really hope the issue doesn't return.

Anyway, to celebrate, I washed her up and took some pics.

I've got a bunch more in my Flickr if you're interested in seeing more here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/_spyder/sets/72157626706007605/

Other than that, she should be low soon and have some nice lips up front and in back!

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool.Gonna see you at shawano on the 19th?
Depends on my work schedule. I just landed a job where I'll have a set schedule for the rest of the summer (stupid 12 hr shift job to pay for college). So we'll see, I will make it to a few events this year though, I'd love to do a lapping day.

What did the issue end up being? I'm divided on the pinstripe. Is your car lower in the back than the front?
The wiring from the ECU to the injector harness wasn't getting certain injectors to fire. I was playing with wires on the ECU side yesterday and she fired up perfectly. I'm crossing my fingers that it wasn't a coincidence, only time will tell.

I'm also divided on the pinstripe. I'm going to leave it until I add my Touge Run lip, R-Package rear lip, and get her low. That should change the way she looks a fair amount, then I'll decide if I want to keep it or not. I don't wanna risk damaging the paint either.

And yes, it seems to be higher up front. I bought it that way, and it bugs the hell out of me. It's another reason I ordered cheap coilovers.

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is being used to tune the car?
It's using a piggyback (AEM F/IC). I'd love to get a Megasquirt, but money doesn't permit.

didnt this car have sleeves on it already so can adjust ride height?
Yup, but they're already all the way down. Each sleeve has 3 allen screws in it preventing it from going lower.

·
Registered
154 Posts
oh wow.poor design somewhere then.I had koni ground control setup on my nb and i could slam that thing more then needed and also had same combo on my acr and could go lower then needed.

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
oh wow.poor design somewhere then.I had koni ground control setup on my nb and i could slam that thing more then needed and also had same combo on my acr and could go lower then needed.
Yeah, it's a good, very functional setup from the feels of it. But it bothers me and I gotta even things out and go lower. Racelands fit the budget :woolery:

This setup will be up for sale once I pull it off.

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finished installing the rear coilovers a few days out. Took way longer than expected because I couldn't get the stock NA top hat bolts off to take the whole assembly out. So I ended up just keeping the NA top hats in and added some washers on top to make the NB Racelands fit.

I went to a local show today with some friends. Got lots of stuff done just in time.
- Installed front Touge Run lip
- Painted the R-package rear lip and installed it
- Sanded flaking red paint off all calipers and repainted them silver
- Sprayed the tails all red to get rid of the stock orange section
- Bought and installed new battery and battery tie down (didn't have one)
- Wired up amp to speakers and mounted it in the trunk
- Cleaned and degreased engine bay (was nasty)
- Cleaned and detailed the interior (fading)

A few pics:

IMG_9152 by _spyder, on Flickr

IMG_9154 by _spyder, on Flickr

IMG_9153 by _spyder, on Flickr

IMG_9166 by _spyder, on Flickr

IMG_9279 by _spyder, on Flickr

IMG_9348 by _spyder, on Flickr

I'll probably take some more pictures tomorrow of everything, these ones are pretty general besides the tail light ones.

Enjoy, comments are welcome.

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some more pics I took today to show how the whole car looks. It's definitely looking different now, I like it.

IMG_9363 by _spyder, on Flickr

IMG_9366 by _spyder, on Flickr

IMG_9369 by _spyder, on Flickr

All-red tails:

IMG_9380 by _spyder, on Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/_spyder/5801708805/

IMG_9387 by _spyder, on Flickr

Freshly painted calipers:

IMG_9368 by _spyder, on Flickr

Cleaned engine bay:

IMG_9372 by _spyder, on Flickr

Cleaned and organized trunk:

IMG_9383 by _spyder, on Flickr