ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
everyone says that unless its on that it does nothing.

took mine off my 1.6 last week and the most it feels is the weight difference. but i one aspect weight to power ratio changes.

plus makes engine bay look cleaner (start tossing useless stuff now)

pulled the softtop too and the weight loss seems to have caused slightly more understeer but that is probaly my worn tires

·
Registered
368 Posts
I dont know about a 1.6. I have a 1.8 .And when I had it on the dyno,we did a few base runs then we cut the a/c belt (which also went around the powersteering)and did another run we saw a 5 horsepower increase at the wheels.The powersteering had alot to do with the increase.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There's alot of factors with the AC. Belt length (since it has to go around the AC) and the weight of the A/C unit (38lbs). Ultimately if you ever want to see something fun, check out the load an A/C puts on your engine when you turn it on. I will get Braineack to post his megasquirt logs. It literally consumes fuel and throws timing to the point where I was amazed. IMO if you want performance you will save tuning time/weight/ and rotating mass by removing it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I dont know about a 1.6. I have a 1.8 .And when I had it on the dyno,we did a few base runs then we cut the a/c belt (which also went around the powersteering)and did another run we saw a 5 horsepower increase at the wheels.The powersteering had alot to do with the increase.
Thats pretty interesting man. I never thought it would drag that much unengaged. Anyway, If you want this thing to be cruiser keep it. If this is going to be a weekend/go fast/track car GUT IT!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm actually going to be adding A/C to mine. It's a fast car and all, but I do daily drive it, and it's pretty damn hot and humid in GA right now.
That and my girlfriend won't stop complaining about how hot it is inside the car. lol But that's partially due to the torn shifter boots, but new ones are going to be here today or tomorrow.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I'd like to ditch the weight, but there is no way in hell I'd have a car with no AC... did it once, never again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why isn't A/C driven by electricity instead of the engine? I think most of the time the battery is fully charged and the dynamo is generating redundant electricity.

·
aka Panda
899 Posts
what the hell is a dynamo???? alternator?

On topic: I don't think it makes much of a difference. Its will bog down the engine at idle when it is turned on, but its a 1.6. If you are running track days just turn the A/C off. I ripped mine out but I also did away with power steering. Mostly for weight savings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Why isn't A/C driven by electricity instead of the engine"?

Get a Tahoe Hybrid.AC and power steering ARE powered by elec. motors not the engine directly.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My alternator belt popped on the freeway the other day on my 1.6 and the ac belt has to come off to get it back on. Well I didn't out the ac belt back on just to see and I didn't notice a difference at all.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I know someone dyno'd a 200hp (flywheel) K20A(2?) motor w/ and w/o AC running and it was a peak 20hp loss (dynojet).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts