332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody tried this on their own?
it's kinda hard to find out exactly how to do it
need exact directions or atleast close to it

·
Registered
205 Posts
Like he said purge the system, I took it to a local shop and had them remove it, I didnt feel like taking in all that freon and adding it to the ozone problem (the tree hugger in me).

To make the job easier you should remove the radiator and the front bumper. You dont have to but it makes life 100x easier.

You will most likley need a big sized cresent for the lines that go into the firewall, I didnt have them and had to go buy them.

As far as the compressor goes, you can remove it and the braket that mounts to the block, this is the heaviest part.

When I removed mine I also removed the actual a/c box under the dash. You dont have to remove the dash or anything, but it helps to remove the seat on the pass side so you have some room.

I also ordered the plastic pipe that non-ac cars use to joint the blower and the heatercore. Without this pipe your heat wont work. I also ordered the plugs that go into the firewall where the hardlines come into the cabin, again these are oem parts off non a/c cars.

Its not hard at all just takes some time, GL

·
Mufasa in Training
31,075 Posts
IMHO, it's worth taking it to a shop to have it professionally done. The end result looks better and is more environmentally sound. It's not more than an hour or two's labor anyway.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I discharged it at my friends shop and yanked it in about 2 hours... its easy work. dont pay someone to take things off your car. just dispose of the coolant at a shop, if you inhale it it'll give you cancer and your **** will fall off.

if you do it yourself, look into the ac fan parallel mod, you'll need the ps only belt, and some hand tools. PBlaster will save your knuckles and about an hour.

seriously took my like 2 hours, I did that, radiator install, oil change, and front bumper gutting all at once.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
you'll need the ps only belt
good call forgot about that.

all the parts can be had thru ms motorsports or your local dealer

i would guess in total almost 30-50 LOL
The AC compressor is about 33lbs. All AC parts removed barely makes 40lbs.
that maybe so, but after looking at this list that came from the redbeast its one of the single largest weight savings you can do... making it totally worth it if you want to add lightness.
http://ww2.lightweightmiata.com:8080/lightness/lightness.htm

and 38# an estimate by him, I actually put it closer 50# (bathscale :/) when I weighed mine. for the compressor, bracket, bolts, lines, condenser.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,075 Posts
The whole setup is about 50 or so lbs. Honestly, it's one of the easiest items that you can remove relative to the weight saved by removing it (next to things like the soft top/hard top, seats).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright well i'll be taking off the radiator.. being that i'm a student I like to do things on the "fast side" MUAHAHAHAH that means driving too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts