ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2002LS with an FM2 turbo kit. I had the boost gauge mounted in the center AC vent, but always wanted something more factory. After installing a real oil pressure gauge in the center stack above my CD player I decided to replace the now redundant factory oil pressure gauge with my boost gauge.

This is definately a serious undertaking as I had to cut through 8 circuit traces on the back of the custer and reconnect the components with jumpers. It was worth the effort though, as it puts the boost gauge right where I can see it and looks totaly factory.

Ken Hill
2002LS FM2

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Hotness! Very nice.

·
Registered
451 Posts
dude that's sick ove the idea i may use that for mine. post pics once its done

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very clean install, looks nearly oem.
That's pretty popular mod in the MK2 MR2 community since the factory boost gauge is not much more than an on/off switch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a few more pictures of the project. The boost gauge has to be removed from the cup in order to fit in the skinny NB instrument cluster. The air fitting then needs to come out the backside. I drilled and small hole as shown below. The washer is just a spacer because the nut holding the air fitting does not sit on a flat surface.

The nut on the back and some silicon sealant holds the gauge in place.

All the circuit traces are on a flexible sheet. Unfortunately, the air fitting comes through the back of the cluster right were 8 traces are located on the sheet. I cut a hole in the sheet then proceeded to reconnect the 8 traces with jumper wires. The black around the base of the hose fitting is silicone on the brass nut to insulate it from the circuit traces.

A finally, the finished product in the dash.

Here it is at night. I used a Stewart Warner gauge. It works well and I like it for the 15psi range because I am only running 10psi. But the morons who designed it did not illuminate the needle. What were they thinking?!

BTW my gauges illuminate white because I removed the red condoms from the light bulbs. I hate red illumination.

This is why the factory oil pressure gauge was redundant.

I hope these photos encourage someone to do a little customizing on their own. This is a very brief synopsis of the procedure if anyone wants the details, let me know. Or, if someone wants me to do this to thier cluster I can work something out.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
It almost looks like factory original equipment. Nicely done! (Except for the lack of illumination on the needle, but there's not much to be done about that, I suppose.)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Its a shame that most people Don't recognize who you are and what you have done for the Miata community. I just want to let you know that within the past 5 Miatas I've owned, none even come CLOSE to the "abuse" I put your old 1990 turbo through. Two stright years of road racing, auto-xing, drag racing, canyon carving, and other acts of stupidity all without a single problem. Me and my buddies still laugh about how amazingly reliable the car was, and probably still is! Thanks for the good times.

(BTW the center positioned boost gauge was one of my favorite parts of the car)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts