ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had time today to look for leaks after my first track day 2 weeks ago. I already found 2 quite interesting holes. First hole was a tiny hole that seemed like someone drilled (on the corner of a bolt on the steering rack. I didn't get a picture of this hole before I jb-welded it (hopefully it holds).

2nd hole was quite interesting. I never noticed this hole before on the transmission. Looks again like someone drilled it. Can someone help me look at their transmission and see if there is any hole located at where my hole is?

It was my first track day and I did spin out 3 times and hit gravel but I do not think it caused these holes.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
you spun 3 times at your FIRST track day? jesus man.

BTW the hole is normal, mine has it. not sure why its there, but it might be a drain for any fluid that leaks in the clutch/flywheel area through the main seal. Don't want to get your clutch wet ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i even spun on my warmup lap. lol I was running shitty tires.

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
RedemPhex hit the nail on the head. That's a weep hole that will allow any oil leaking past your rear main seal to exit the tranny instead of building up and getting on your clutch. If you have enough oil leaing out of that hole that it's leaving drops on the garage floor, start budgeting time and/or money for a rear main seal replacement. Might as well do the clutch while you're in there.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
yea, i even spun on my warmup lap. lol I was running shitty tires.
Haha, and I thought I offed/spun a lot? Next time, I amma let my instructor know he is lucky he doesn't have you ;). Gotta stop lifting, and get come decent tires!

Btw, Glad to see another HPDE'er

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RedemPhex hit the nail on the head. That's a weep hole that will allow any oil leaking past your rear main seal to exit the tranny instead of building up and getting on your clutch. If you have enough oil leaing out of that hole that it's leaving drops on the garage floor, start budgeting time and/or money for a rear main seal replacement. Might as well do the clutch while you're in there.
I just got my clutch and rear main seals replaced so I think it is still good. There is coolant in the hole, what does that mean? On the track, after every 25min session, my car was blowing lots of smoke and I suspect it was coming from the hole. The smell of the smoke smelled like burning oil though

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I just got my clutch and rear main seals replaced so I think it is still good. There is coolant in the hole, what does that mean? On the track, after every 25min session, my car was blowing lots of smoke and I suspect it was coming from the hole. The smell of the smoke smelled like burning oil though
sounds serious, you could have knicked/ damaged the rear main seal in the clutch install. I think someone did that at some point.

Did you check your oil during the weekend? You should probably figure out where its coming from.

Is the area around the hole wet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts