ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
I'm finding myself wondering whether this is a swap I really want to consider now. After being initially pessimistic, I found myself excited upon this kit being released. Now seeing those myriad of little problems? Not so much.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm finding myself wondering whether this is a swap I really want to consider now. After being pessimistic as to it, I found myself excited upon this kit being released. Now seeing those myriad of little problems? Not so much.
I guess your perspective might vary because I look at these as much bigger problems (especially considering the ultimate end result is a failed engine from what I can only deduce was due to oil starvation with a faulty oil pick up)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I actually posted some thoughts yesterday but my post was flagged for review by a moderator (probably since this is a new account).

Mods - if you can either push my previous post through or let me know whats going on, that would be great. I'd just like a chance to respond to this.

Thank you.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am not impressed with the review quality and if I were considering a KMiata kit, I'd use this as an isolated data point. If you are scared off from the kit after this review, you have no business buying one.

it sounds like whoever the owner was has a skewed perception of what level of perfection you can expect from installing an engine that wasn't designed for a Miata and then going racing. Why is Spec Miata so successful? Oh, that's right, it's all Mazda parts on "stock" Miata engines. There aren't turbos or VVT conversions; just straight Miata components. And guess what? Those guys still have problems with OEM new in box components and they need to find creative solutions.

It's hard enough to make a cross-manufacturer engine conversion Daily driver reliable. However, I've put 10K miles on my SR20 Miata and it's been dead nuts reliable because that's how we made all the decisions when we had to solve problems. But if I were to decide to go W2W racing, plenty of issues would crop up that plague even OEM setups. It's just reality. Something this one person doesn't seem to grasp.

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
Agreed with Dave though maybe k miata should consider a discount (not free as reviewer seemed to want) to direct customers(not someone buying a kit second/third hand) if a part fails and a revision addresed the failure such as header, oilpan flange and oil pickup tube.

Having seen a kmiata kit for myself quality is absolutely there but as with any part and especially when dealing with fairly custom stuff....Such as fabricating an entire conversion kit, there will always be a learning curve and ways to improve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed with Dave though maybe k miata should consider a discount (not free as reviewer seemed to want) to direct customers(not someone buying a kit second/third hand) if a part fails and a revision addresed the failure such as header, oilpan flange and oil pickup tube.

Having seen a kmiata kit for myself quality is absolutely there but as with any part and especially when dealing with fairly custom stuff....Such as fabricating an entire conversion kit, there will always be a learning curve and ways to improve.
I've been in constant communication with this customer, and we're already sending him one of the newer oil pickups and flywheel dust shields free of charge.

What's not documented in this review is that the engine was run low on oil twice on track. Once because the pan was not sealed up well and was leaking, and once on the day of the failure. The customer reported that his oil pressure gauge was reading very sporadically leading up to the failure, but he continued running the car hard because the engine felt fine. He recently moved the oil pressure gauge sender and thought it was not grounded well and thus was malfunctioning.

Obviously some of this is outside our control, and there are some assumptions being made as to the cause of the failure. The oil pickup was still attached to the pump after the failure, only the hanger broke. It could have broken due to violent rod knock after the failure, we just have no way of knowing exactly what happened.

edit: regarding your comment on header failure, just a reminder that it cracked only because the customer's exhaust fabricator explicitly ignored our instructions to install a flex pipe in the exhaust. This review does mention that, but it's an important detail that may be missed by those skimming through the post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts