ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few years I have been wanting to start something like the Type R Expo, but for Miatas. I instructed at the one last year when it was here, and had an absolute blast. I wasn't JUST the track time, but hanging out with fellow enthusiasts as well. I am going to be checking on prices for both our local tracks, then post something concrete here and at Miata.net, but wanted to get some feed back first.

Here is the idea. Each year, a different track is picked. Someone in that area picks up the ball and runs with it, getting everything setup. I am thinking two days of HPDE (Probably Friday Sat, maybe Sat. Sun.), with a Banquet on Saturday night (Food, bench racing, and, if sponsered, possible prizes). There could also be a "car show" tossed in. I would start it off in this area (middle of the country, "easy" to reach from both sides. (The Type R Expo had people from Cali and NY) Good side effect of having it here is that it should be realitively cheap. I have to talk to the owners of the two tracks, but am thinking Mayish.

So, how does this sound? Would anyone be interested?

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
Only if you and I get to dragrace down the front straight away :p

I'll keep my ear tuned for this... curious to see how/where it goes.

< previous TypeR Expo attendee. Great event every time and really a fun time when you gather car lovers from across the nation.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,661 Posts
Sounds pretty cool to me :)

Maybe you could get the local speed shop of choice to help sponsor? For example, if you could rent out Putnam Park near Indianapolis, IN, maybe have AIM Tuning give a presentation and contribute?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last time I tried this, Bill at FM sounded like he would give a hand. I might try a few others. Mostly, I would be looking for prizes for a raffle or something. We will see where this goes.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,661 Posts
I know Shane over at AIM would love to do something like that. In fact they are a key sponsor of the Rotary Revolution event (it was cancelled for this year due to unrelated family issues with one of the event organizers). Not to speak for Shane, but I know he loves getting the shop's name out there whenever he can!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'd be willing to make a trip halfway across the country...... it'd be badass!

·
Registered
75 Posts
splitime! you have a miata as well? this is kepani also at honda-tech...:) small world!

<-- expo 5 attendee but didn't drive...

a miata expo would be GREAT! perfect excuse to get others on the track. and it's in an environment where others with the same car make would be more comfortable.

kepani

·
2,708 Posts
I did this sort of thing twice when I had my CRX. I organized the SoCal convoy for the annual CRXPO to Laguna Seca and it was a blast. Nothing like seeing a caravan of 50+ CRXs driving up and down the PCH.

I'm not sure about a Midwest event due to my work, but will definetly attend any West Coast events.

Oh, and "Miata Expo" sounds like a beautician's convention. How 'bout something like "Roadster EXPO" ? :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I am going to pursue this. I will post what costs would look like, and see what happens from there.

As for name...I had no plans on calling it Miata Expo officially. Once things look like they might happen, I will take ideas. In fact, throw some more out there.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I read about the type r expo every year and it looks like a total blast! If driving range is reasonable i'd be more than interested. Im sure i can get my local roadster friends to come out too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Initial plans are for two days, probably Friday and Saturday. I have two tracks in the area that could be used. I am going to talk to both. So far, from the sounds of it, I am thinking we will need at least 45 cars to pull it off. I would hope we could reach that and then some, but only time will tell. The tracks are in the Omaha Ne. area, so that is the driving distance.

Please spread the word to fellow Miata enthusiast about the idea, and gauge interest. Thanks!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,661 Posts
Roadster Rendesvous would be great, since Nebraska is midway for most of the members here especially :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not my fault. :p And this isn't just a meet. Its a track day(s) as well. I am not just going to post this on here. Every Miata forum I can find will get the info. Its a chance to go somewhere different, meet new people, see different Miatas, and get some track time. I am not sure why the Type R guys can do it, but yet it seems so hard to pull of with the Miata fold. Hmm.

IDK, if there was a Miata specific event, that included actual track time, I would for sure be down. But I have never seen one. The closest thing is FM's open house. Other then that, the Gap, which isn't at a track, just great roads. I am trying to start something special here. I hope it works out, and can continue into the future at different locations. Like I said, only time will tell if it happens.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There was Road Atlanta in '96. Miataworld '99 in, well, '99. There was Pocono in '00 or '01. Daytona in the past couple of years. All had track time, except maybe Daytona.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Id be interested. Maybe Ill have another roadster by then'

Id really like something in cali, but then....Im biased. Id be willing to throw in a couple raffle prizes as well, pending on expected turnout

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
This sounds a lot like what we are setting up for Mazda Summerpalooza. I'll post info in a few months when more things come together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts