ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, imagine a single row radiator with a big front surface area, something like the OEM miata radiator. Now Imagine a radiator that has half the frontal surface area, but is twice as thick.

Do both these radiators have equal ability to exchange heat?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Short answer is no, in the real world they do not offer identical performance. The frontal area, thickness, number of cores, end tank design, and fin density all have a major effect on cooling efficiency. I'll go find some links and report back.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured physics wouldn't allow them to be equal. Im interested in what you have to show me freedomgli.

Ive been thinking about using twin civic radiators or maybe twin motorcycle radiators. Civic radiators have the cap on one of the endtanks, right?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I figured physics wouldn't allow them to be equal. Im interested in what you have to show me freedomgli.

Ive been thinking about using twin civic radiators or maybe twin motorcycle radiators. Civic radiators have the cap on one of the endtanks, right?
Yea, they're just like ours just about half the width.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you can weld you could cut off the neck on one and patch it. Not very practical but, it can be done.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,069 Posts
I'm interested in seeing how it works out. I do recall someone on Miata.net runnning a Civic radiator, but I think it took a little bit of doing to get it to fit. The space gained is pretty impressive, tho!

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive been thinking about using twin civic radiators or maybe twin motorcycle radiators.
and the reason for this being?
My goal is to have a flat underbody. It has been mentioned that a flat underbody increases pressure in the engine compartment enough that there will not be sufficient airflow through the radiator.

My solution is to duct the radiator to either the top or sides of the car. Both are a problems for the stock radiator and its location because of the sharp bends thats would be necessary. Sooo im toying with the idea of running motorcycle radiators to the sides or a lower radiator more towards the front of the car at an angle.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,069 Posts
I'd question that logic, as the lowest point of the car/engine bay is not the bottom of the radiator, but the bottom of the front suspension (K-member). In other words, if you're aiming for a flat bottom on your car, the areas to flatten out are well past the radiator, which is higher up than any of them, with the exception of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I not saying that the radiator is too low, but that its too close to the engine, and that its too tall to push it farther forward into the bumper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts