ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had a break from the body work today, I started fiddling with my gauges. So I figure I'd make a little bit of a writeup in case anyone else ever wants to do it.
Started with a bunch of autometer whiteface gauges.

6 in all. Speedo, tach, fuel, and temp will go in the cluster. Boost and oil pressure elsewhere.
Took apart the factory cluster and cut up the white surround in order to fit the new.
(Ill put pictures and info of that up later.)
Cut my shape out of a sheet of aluminium from home depot using a tin snip.

Now the hard part. Cutting the holes. Using hole saw bits would be the easy way of doing it. But since I didn't have those, I stuck with tin snips and a needle nose plyers and a big drill bit to start the hole. I drilled the hole and cut from the middle out in every direction. Like so.

That's it for now. Ill post more later on and more when I make more progress.

·
Registered
645 Posts
bump for more pix

are u still using the oem gauge cluster body? and what about the wireing are u just taping into the oem harness?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I cut up the white backing part of the cluster body to fit the new gauges, leaving spots for the lights like so.

And with the aluminum, I left tabs sticking out which are used to hold the faceplate to the body.

The holes for the gauges were a challenge but I pulled it off. The best way I found to do it was to just cut it into strips and fold them back. Which ends up something like this.

I then cut some holes in the aluminum for the lights, which I will later make good covers for so it will look clean.

So here is where I am at this point.

And the gauges are mostly mechanical. The most part of the wiring is just the lights. And everything else will find a new home.

·
Registered
645 Posts
man ever hurd of harbor freight? its this place that sells tools really cheap. you should really check it out. your projects would come out alot cleaner and better looking with those expensive looking gauges

·
Registered
645 Posts
i suggest redoing it or something to make it cleaner the guys on here will give u **** about it

·
Registered
645 Posts
oh ok yea that would be much better, the lights on the bottom gauges i was like grose but if ur gonna have them covered with vinyl i think they should be good

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
Why didn't you try using hole saws for the gauge holes? Probably would have saved you **** loads of time and effort.

Edit: Read some of the picture captions but it still doesn't make any sense to me to do something like this the hard way.

·
Registered
645 Posts
again not knocking you but those gauges are not that cheap by far clean it up and make it look good for us
what was the reasoning behind gutting and cutting the back off the oem cluster housing?

i think im going to jack your style and do one like this but a little different.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off. It's a 5 dollar piece of aluminum. If it really looks that shitty when it's done. I'll start over and try something different. I can't express how unfinished this is. lol. When I make a faceplate for it, it will make more sense and look all nice for you guys.

The reason I didn't use hole saws is because I didn't have any at the time and wanted to see what I could do with what I had. Again, if it didn't look nice, I would just go back to the drawing board no harm done.

And lastly, the reason I cut up the housing was: A.) Using the factory housing will allow me to bolt the new cluster right back into it's propper location with no hastle. B.) I had to cut and gut it because the gauges are too deep to fit without hitting the back of the housing. And C.) Because it gave me a good template to work off of for shape and such.

Not getting butt-hurt. Just explaining my logic and insanity. :phillyb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where's water temp going?

·
Registered
645 Posts
once you cut out the template from the gauge housing couldnt you just use the tin/aluminum as the houseing with out cutting up the oem housing? kinda like when ppl put a radio delete plate with gauges they just use the plate not a gutted radio with a plate over it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could have. But it would be really flimsy. The gauges are pretty heavy. I would have had to use a much thicker plate of aluminum to atop ut from flopping around while driving.

Edit: also, by using the factory housing, I have places already to put the light bulbs for indicator lights.

·
Registered
645 Posts
cool cool

·
Registered
37 Posts
First off. It's a 5 dollar piece of aluminum. If it really looks that shitty when it's done. I'll start over and try something different. I can't express how unfinished this is. lol. When I make a faceplate for it, it will make more sense and look all nice for you guys.
It might be the first draft, but I think it'll look pretty badhammer when it's all said and done. :icon_cheers:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts