ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
32 people died on Monday morning at V.Tech. The nation drowned in sorrow. The President visited the campus. News media descended upon V.Tech. You can't go anywhere without hearing about the slaughter.

171 people died on Wednesday in Baghdad. One story on NY Times, I'm sure it hit other news outlets as well. Every day, it seems like people are dying by the truckloads in Iraq. But is this ever even a blip on our radars?

By no means am I belittling the tragedy that occurred at V.Tech. I'm sure some of us have been or knows someone who has been personally affected by what happened there. But perhaps we are a little too numbed by the war?

:cry:

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
seeing that the war is old does play a part of it. i know im sick of hearing things that happen over there.
But the V.tech incident actually happened in the states, while the baghdad story happened in...well...baghdad.

Virginia is a hell of a lot closer to most of us, and thus we feel that it effects us more.
Iraqis dyeing has nothing to do with us.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Let's not turn this into a political discussion, please.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
The things going on in Iraq have a lot to do with us.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
it is really sad that people feel that way about the war. People are people no matter where or what side of ideology they're on. it kind of bothered me when the president said the death in VA was unimaginable but on the other hand other things don't find him at such a deeply emotional loss (the war, Katrina). especially since he's a "Christian"

·
Registered
286 Posts
it is really sad that people feel that way about the war. People are people no matter where or what side of ideology they're on. it kind of bothered me when the president said the death in VA was unimaginable but on the other hand other things don't find him at such a deeply emotional loss (the war, Katrina). especially since he's a "Christian"
ehhh he doesnt have that much longer. I see brighter days a coming!

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
If one thinks that this thread may be locked, or any thread for that matter, DO NOT incite things by posting IBTL or "in before thread lock", etc.

Nobody really cares if you beat the thread lock, so just don't do it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thursday, April 19, 2007

32 US Dollar = 42,537.7 Iraqi Dinar
32 Iraqi Dinar (IQD) = 0.02407 US Dollar (USD)

i just checked

but in all seriousness any killing happening is horrible. the news just reports what people care most about and the american public cares more about american lives lost than iraqi lives lost

what are your thoughts about how v.tech handled the situation? i read that after the first shootings happened there were no warnings put out by v.tech. 2 hours later he attacked again only to have v.tech send out warnings by school email.

·
Registered
718 Posts
:| so what's the current exchange rate?
apparently it's greater than 171 to 32 :?

people don't care because it doesn't hit home. v.tech hits home because we know what it's like to be in college or what have you.

essentially, it's the same as when the year's deaths get counted up and shown. we see the numbers, we just don't care, because there's no story there. it's just dead people unless you know who it was or why or how they died.

I think it's good to not care though. well, that's a bad way to put it. don't get me wrong, I think it's important to be aware that people are dying in iraq and I think it's important to have an opinion on the matter, but I don't think it's something you should worry about so much. you should care, just because that's what you should do as a person who has any sense of compassion, but I don't think that it should be a big deal. I mean, 171 people died in iraq, but how many other people died in the world?

people live, and they die. sometimes, they die a little early, or they live a long time. I don't want to start a religious debate, but we're all given the time on this earth to do what we can, and that time's all we got, there's no bargaining. when we die, that's it, that's how it was meant to be. **** happens, and you gotta deal with it and move on.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
while i do agree that globalization makes it hard to be a compassionate person, or rather, easy to be apathetic because there really is only so much burden you can take on as a person; the reasons for peoples death is still important to question, especially when it involves the country of which you are a citizen.

·
Registered
668 Posts
D-Day - 57,200 dead

Wartime deaths in war zones will always have less effect than civilian deaths in America. You know.. the country that's spent more money and lives spreading equality and freedom throughout the world than any other.

If you really feel something's wrong.. instead of living your life w. the sense of entitlement we all seem to have. I suggest you to..
"ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

I didn't write this to anyone here.. just venting! It's sad there's still war in this world.. that's what all those Miss USA's keep complaining about!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
"You know.. the country that's spent more money and lives spreading equality and freedom throughout the world than any other. " this is a suspect statement. on the whole no country spreads freedom, that's not what countries do.

·
Registered
369 Posts
D-Day - 57,200 dead

Wartime deaths in war zones will always have less effect than civilian deaths in America. You know.. the country that's spent more money and lives spreading equality and freedom throughout the world than any other.

If you really feel something's wrong.. instead of living your life w. the sense of entitlement we all seem to have. I suggest you to..
"ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

I didn't write this to anyone here.. just venting! It's sad there's still war in this world.. that's what all those Miss USA's keep complaining about!
That sounds similar to the British perspective during the height of their empire, they had the White mans burden of spreading culture and religion all over the world :?

Iraq's or anyone elses life are worth just as much as anyone else here in the west, we just have systems in place to actually keep track of who gets gunned down.

When I saw the VT shootings on Tv I was really hurt, as a student myself im going through the best times of my life, to image it being cut short in a hail of rage fueled bullets is very scary. All those lives lost for nothing....

:(

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's a good point. We count the thousands of troops that have died in Iraq, but tens of thousands of Iraqis have died and the vast majority of them have nothing to do with any of the fighting. Darfur barely makes the news. Another thing that comes to mind is Goldfinger, the James Bond novel (or movie). Goldfinger is talking about his plan to poison the town to get into Fort Knox and he passes the death toll off as "only about a week's worth of American traffic deaths." It's easy to reduce figures to make them seem harmless - and I think the average number of Americans that die on the roads every day is just over 100.
The big deal about the college is that it was so surprising (except it shouldn't be - the feelings the guy expressed in his video are hardly uncommon, just that most of us don?t reach that breaking point and not in that way). There's also a subconscious feeling that those victims had more of a future than the victims that don't get so much attention in the news, whether they're in an inner-city shooting or a foreign bombing.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
D-Day - 57,200 dead

That sounds similar to the British perspective during the height of their empire, they had the White mans burden of spreading culture and religion all over the world :?
Technically, you and I are still part of that Empire (transmogrified into a Commonwealth), sharing the same Head of State (Long may She reign).

Ironically, when Kipling referred to the "White Man's Burden", he was referring to the US moving into the Phillipines, and warning them they had a thankless task.

And in WW2, Britain narrowly nudges the US out for total deaths "spreading freedom" to Western Europe and the Far East (different motives in the Far East; Britain spent most of her time trying to retake colonial possessions, an act that ultimately resulted in their Indiependance, the US was mostly engaged in either naval battles or fighting over strategically placed, but under-populated islands).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I don't buy the whole "spreading equality and freedom" bit. That's far too jingoistic for me. I have yet to see any "freedom" or "equality" spread by the wars of the United States in the past 60 years. It's been more a case of "prop up our guy because he gives us good deals on labor and oil."

I have even deeper feelings about the reaction this country has had to the events of this week, but I'm going to keep those to myself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts