ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my failed attempts to post pictures directly onto CR.net, I can only give you links to my online photo/video albums hosted on picasa.

The albums are separated by days. Here is a quick rundown of what you will see, in pictures and video, of my weekend:

Friday: http://picasaweb.google.com/rog.lee/20070608Montreal?authkey=ostz_kovKhk
  • - Practice
    - Pictures from the Brigestone booth showing a fake Ferrari F1 car.
    - Honda's ASIMO presentation.

Commentary: Friday was fun. There weren't too many people yet. This would be my second time hearing the scream of an F1 engine live. The first time was at Laguna Seca when Zonta ran a few laps in the Toyota. I think that was last year. I was great soaking everything in. Montreal has a great night-life and the locals are all very friendly. If you go to Montreal, eat some poutine. Others here may be able to explain better, but I hear it is a native dish. And it's a great late night snack.
Check out ASIMO - I have videos showing ASIMO walking and climbing stairs. One of the videos shows the video screen, which was showing what ASIMO was seeing. ASIMO was recognizing humans and this technology will see its way into road-going cars. I think a few luxo cars already have this, and will help with collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, etc.

Saturday: http://picasaweb.google.com/rog.lee/20070609Montreal?authkey=OBznB2mS7M4
  • - Ferarri Challenge (F430's)
    - Practice
    - Qualifying
    - A few shots around Montreal
    - A short video of cars blasting by on the main straight.

Commentary: Crowds got thicker. We decided to buy our paraphenalia today since Sunday would be even more crowded. We watched Practice and Qualifying but skipped the Ferrari Challenge. It just wasn't that interesting. Plus, the Ferraris are slow as balls (how often do you get to say that?). We did, however, watch all of Formula BMW, which was very exciting.

Sunday: http://picasaweb.google.com/rog.lee/20070610Montreal02?authkey=VLIupw5JfgM
  • - The race as seen from my seat
    - My friend and I walking the track after the race
    - Shots of pit lane from the pit wall.
    - Takuma Sato signing stuff for fans.
    - A shot of a groundhog running across the track, this is "beaver" that Anthony Davidson ran into,
    - Shots of Crescent Street, famed in Montreal for its bars and clubs. If you look closely, you'll see a few Porsches, 2 Lambos and 1 Ferrari. I don't remember if it is in the shot, but there was also a C1 Corvette on the block.
    - A few shots of the Metro.

Commentary:
Now today was a FUN day. Crazy crowded - it was a sell-out. Without needlessly going into details, it was the most exciting F1 race I have ever seen. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend finding it online and downloading it (legally, of course). There was always so much going on.
We had a handheld TV that we rented. It showed the onboard shots of various drivers, pit times, # of pits, lap times, gap intervals, and a whole bunch of info that was great to have. Basically, any stat you see on TV, we had at our fingertips, at any time. I highly recommend anyone going to the F1 races to rent one of these (Kangaroo TV). They are well worth it. It helps keep track of pits so you know the real running order and things like that. We were able to follow Sato (and any other driver that was looking like they were going to pass) when the jumbo screen was showing something else.
When Kubica crashed, the crowd was silent. It was like everyone was collectively holding their breaths. We didn't know anything about his condition until we asked the pit crew at BMW.
Towards the end of the race, the whole crowd was cheering for Sato. And how can you not cheer for the underdog? We went nuts when he passed the Toyota, Kimi and Alonso. It was nuts. Everyone cheered each time he passed.
After the race, we walked the track and pit wall. We met (well, got his autograph) Sato. There were a bunch of adoring Japanese fans waiting at the wall and we joined them, waited 10 minutes and then met Sato. Really nice guy - he must have been out there for at least 1/2 hour when we finally left the pit wall.
In one of the Sato pictures, he's signing my friend's red Shanghai circuit cap. He signed my program and ticket. I may frame my tickets for my garage.
There were a lot of people hanging out by the hairpin where Kubica crashed, taking pictures and inspecting the wall that he went straight into.
Most fans were McLaren or Ferrari fans. Or I suppose I should say they were the loudest.

As you can tell, it was a terrific weekend.

Tips for next time:
  • - Get the Kangaroo TV (as mentioned above)
    - Spring for the really really good grandstand seats. I think it would have been well worth it.
    - Do not, under any circumstance, get general admission. You can't see anything and it'd be a waste of a weekend (unless you're a local).
    - F1 merchandise is cheaper at the track than in town, for the most part.
    - The strip clubs aren't all that. I don't know what all the hubbub is about. I suppose if you've never been to Vegas, they're good. But if you go to Vegas, don't waste your time at the strip clubs in Montreal.
    - Get cash exchanged in Montreal. I got the best rates there, even better than at AMEX.

Ok, that's all for now. This took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I hope you guys will enjoy the pictures and videos. The videos are pretty good, you can hear the cars scream. I know many of you are F1 fans and would have jumped at a chance to attend the race, so hopefully you can get a feel for what an F1 race is really like through this commentary, the pictures and videos.

Everything was taken with a Nikon Coolpix s7c. Sorry, no DSLR for me.

Let me know what you guys think or if you guys have any questions. \:D/

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I just came back from my vacation part of which was the Monaco Grand Prix. Amazing. The sound and feel of the F1 cars passing 10 feet from you can't be described. The sound was so loud that no one could survive even seconds without earplugs. With earplugs it was still very loud (but without the killing pain) and the ears were still ringing for a couple of days after.

I took a bunch of pics too but those are still in the camera.

I also saw few people around having those portable TVs with the F1 logo on them. Any links of where can these be rented from?
I bought my tickets online directly from the Monaco F1 site but they didn't mention any TV option.

Monaco was amazing. I want to go back and watch another F1 race there ...

·
Registered
280 Posts
My DSLR can't take videos, but here is a low quality vid I took with my cell phone. It hints about the experience. F1 monsters flying by/screaming at few feet distance. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I just came back from my vacation part of which was the Monaco Grand Prix. Amazing. The sound and feel of the F1 cars passing 10 feet from you can't be described. The sound was so loud that no one could survive even seconds without earplugs. With earplugs it was still very loud (but without the killing pain) and the ears were still ringing for a couple of days after.

I took a bunch of pics too but those are still in the camera.

I also saw few people around having those portable TVs with the F1 logo on them. Any links of where can these be rented from?
I bought my tickets online directly from the Monaco F1 site but they didn't mention any TV option.

Cool! I was there on vacation too! Maybe we passed by each other.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sonique, dicker: i think most of the crowd couldn't believe what happened when sato passed those alonso. there's quite a good mclaren-ferrari rivalry between the fans, so you can imagine the energy that went back and forth as massa was black flagged, alonso was given the stop/go penalty, kimi made a mistake and got passed by sato, and then alonso got passed by sato. it was insane - SO much energy!

jman, that7guy: my friend and i are looking to go to monaco within the next five years. by then, we'll have more discretionary income to really do it up. in the meantime, we're planning on doing a euro-delivery of bimmers in probably 2 years, driving the 'ring and going to a GP. but monaco is still the "holy grail" of spots to visit for GP!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I knew I forgot something. Those TVs with F1 logos on them were the Kangaroo TV.

www.kangaroo.tv <-- who'da thunk it?

$99 for all three days - well worth it. ($75 for sunday)

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
violation stop biting my style!

i was gonna do ED on a bimmer, hit the ring, and catch an F1 race (preferably silverstone) too.

But then i remembered I cant get employee lease deals on ED cars.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Btw, does the Kangaroo TV cover the warm up series too? In Monaco in addition to the F1 there were the Porsche Supercup, Formula GP2 and Formula Renault 3.5 championships (the first two follow the F1 at many tracks around the world). Or is it alive during the F1 sessions only?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
violation stop biting my style!

i was gonna do ED on a bimmer, hit the ring, and catch an F1 race (preferably silverstone) too.

But then i remembered I cant get employee lease deals on ED cars.
there's no employee-buy deal? well, dont worry, i'll share pics and vids when that time comes around and you can live vicariously through me. :)

J_Man: for the support races, we had Formula 1600, Formula BMW and Ferrari Challenge. The Kangaroo TV only picked up the regular feed (what you see on the jumbo screen). So no stats and all that. I do wonder if it'd be different for GP2, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Really nice coverage.. thanks for sharing! :)
as soon as my son get's older and is hopefully a fan we can do these type events together!!
Next time snap some F1 hottie pics! :p haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts