ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAC is about to start manufacturing these CF headlight intake lids... you may remember them from the CF flushmount headlights they produced. Here's their site: http://www.aacstyle.com/

I had PMed him about them a long time ago but forgot about it. He wrote me today with a test product:

Bottom

From his email:

Here are the pictures of the headlight lid that I was talking about. This lid was designed from a factory headlight lid and was test fitted before it was sent off to production. I have yet to fit it since I got it but everything should fit fine. As you can tell the legs were made in metal so that they can be bent to make sure of proper fitment. The unit is very tight and easily weighs a pound or less. Having these mass produced will only take a few weeks once I have a comitment from at least 10 people for the $89.00 intro rate. Shipping should be under 10 dollars for anywhere in the continetal U.S. I will have my paypal account setup tonight and we should be good to go for taking orders.

The money can be paid up front intially and then when the pieces come in and I have a set shipping rate, the rest can be sent for shipping. If you are interested we can make this a reality! Also if you know anyone who would like one please have them email me so we can get to 10 units!

P.S. I only have driver side units right now but if there is a large enough demand for passenger side I will have those made in the future as well.

Thanks
Steve
AKA Xflashjr
Here's some more pics:

Looks pretty good to me, I think I'll be getting one. What do you guys think?

No affiliation, blahblahblah. Here's his email: [email protected]

Guess we need to get some people on these things if we want them... =D>

·
Registered
600 Posts
I, too got an email from him today since I have kept bugging him about it. I'm thinking about getting it too. The only thing is, I already have TSI's so whats the use of spending 90 bucks? Besides the fact that it looks cool. Would this make any difference to underhood temps even tho I have the TSI's?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I, too got an email from him today since I have kept bugging him about it. I'm thinking about getting it too. The only thing is, I already have TSI's so whats the use of spending 90 bucks? Besides the fact that it looks cool. Would this make any difference to underhood temps even tho I have the TSI's?
In my opinion, anything that gets more air into the underhood area is worth it. I'm getting this and TSI's myself because my NA tends to run hot in the summer. Plus I'm getting a Cool Breeze scoop also :lol:

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I made a $100 deposit for those CF headlights but never went through with it. I hope they can compensate me by sending me one of those lids.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Tests done on TSIs have shown that, at speed, a lot of them are venting air *out*, not letting air in.

Doesn't change the fact that I like them, and any hot air getting out has got to be good. :D

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I also read that it decreases air velocity that was suppose to go through the radiator?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I also read that it decreases air velocity that was suppose to go through the radiator?
Thats why you need to build a box around the air filter to 1) keep pressure from building up behind the radiator, 2) seal out the hot air from the intake, 3) seal in the cold and very slightly pressurized air for the intake (possibly a slight ram air effect if you can seal it well enough).

So how do we get on the list of 10 because i have been waiting for these?

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
I almost got on the groupbuy for these on miata.net before I made my own, it looks like it turned out pretty sweet

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
I'm actually the designer of this fine product. It's based on my CF NACA duct, but it's a bit smaller to allow it to work with the stock light.

Air does NOT FLOW OUT of this duct. I've got a whole spreadsheet of temp data from my supercharged days. The duct works quite well. This one's a bit smaller than mine, but it actually has a better (more optimized) shape. It's nearly a perfect version of the best flowing NACA shape. The only thing it lacks is a slightly diverging curved floor.

And one more note, I'm not trying to sell this or advocate the purchase of one. I made and will make no profit from the design. I just helped Steve out to bring a new product to the NA market, which is a rare bird now days. My whole payment for this little job is a free lid. :)

·
CR.net Supporter
374 Posts
Thats why you need to build a box around the air filter to 1) keep pressure from building up behind the radiator, 2) seal out the hot air from the intake, 3) seal in the cold and very slightly pressurized air for the intake (possibly a slight ram air effect if you can seal it well enough).
There is no pressure built up behind the radiator - - there is PLENTY of room for air to exit around/below the engine and around the transmission tunnel. I know one guy that tested having NO underhood tray and then adding it back on and he saw noticeable decrease in underhood temps WITH the tray in place. Also, he further found that dropping the rear center section of the tray under the tab on the subframe further decreased temps.

I agree with colder air being a huge benefit to air intake, but the intake system does need shielding from the heat radiated from the exhaust side of the engine.

I plan to buy a spare driver's side headlight lit and add the largest NACA duct I can in order to maximize aiflow into the FMII air box. I am going to remove the stock headlight assemblies and instead add some PIAA 3 way lights where the turn signals are located. Light output won't be quite as good, but it won't be my daily driver after my built engine is installed so I won't be driving at night very often - probably just to/from track events.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paypal account is set up and preorders are being taken.

FYI I'm not affiliated with Steve (XFlashJr) or AAC and after speaking to him he let me know that this isn't being done by AAC, it's his own project.

I just want to get as many people on this as I can because I want my lid :p
From his latest email:

Hey Everyone!

This seems to be the time everyone has been waiting for! I have my paypal account setup and have talked with my manufacture and we have been given the green light for this project. In order to make this feasible and not have to get a very large number of people to make this reality, I am looking for at least 10 people to pay the entire amount up front in order to help offset the cost of having these mass-produced.

I have set shipping and handling at a flat rate of $10.00 for anywhere in the continental US
and if you are located in Canada an additional 10 dollars should cover shipping for you!

As soon as we reach 10 people who have paid we are looking at a 20-25 day turn around to have the products made! I will make this a priority to have everything shipped the same day I receive them so even though the entire amount is needed up front we are looking at a very quick turnaround!

If you know of any friends or other miata enthusiast's who would be interested have them contact me and paypal the funds as this introductory rate of $89.00 + shipping will be good for as many people who pay until the first unit ships out. Even after we reach the 10 people required to make this happen I will still accept payment and ship out the lids at the same price. Obviously the first 10 will be shipped out first!

My Paypal account is [email protected] . The Amount for US cusotmers with shipping will be $99.00 and the price for Candian customers will be 109.00 American Dollars (please make sure the conversion is correct)

I look forward to hearing from each of you and a write up as well as multiple pictures on a car will be done as soon as our prototype lid will be sent to one of the forum members who helped in the design. The sooner we can get to 10 people the sooner this product can be installed on your cars!

Thanks again
Steve
So there ya go :D

Mods if there's a problem with this please let me know.

Let's get this show on the road!

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
One more thing. The CF prototype looks identical to the metal prototype I sent Steve. This is somewhat disappointing to me. I'd recommended he either remove that little bar at the back/exit or really reinforce it.

Ideally, that little bar would hold a small ramp to increase air velocity (the stock hood-lip shape actually does this pretty well). I was worried the little tab (just a place holder) would be too weak. Looks like it made it to production. Sigh.

It was also my understanding that the prototype would be sent to me for final fitment and any mold changes before they were sent out en mass. This has not happened.

I'm not making any money on this. I'm not even gonna USE the lid I'm getting for my work. I just wanted to get a good NACA duct lid onto the market. The communication process seems to be breaking down.... I didn't even receive this final email where Steve's asking for money.

I'm a bit unhappy about all of this.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts