1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
That's a pretty fair price too.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
ABS resists mildew and rot. I just wonder if it will vibrate against the metal door frame? At that price I'm tempted to ask him if he can make me a set w/o the cutout for the '90-'93 speaker grille or armrests.

·
Registered
718 Posts
ABS resists mildew and rot. I just wonder if it will vibrate against the metal door frame? At that price I'm tempted to ask him if he can make me a set w/o the cutout for the '90-'93 speaker grille or armrests.
if it vibrated you could just get a little rubber washer/bushing thing to go on those little plastic things that attach the panel to the door.

thinking about this too, but I don't remember how to get the crank for the window off of my door to get the panel off. :oops: :|

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh its easy, just get a rag and pull it down at the base of the crank. The motion is like you are trying to pull the rag through the crank. I think my directions are sucking here so go to m.net's garage, I'm sure its in there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had ABS for some time now. Lighter the the stock panels. No covering. I will try to post some pics later.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Yes please post your pics of the ABS panels.

Thought about doing this out of a sheet of ABS but that covers the speaker area and arm rest holes.. just a hole for the window crank. Could be cool.. and lighter.

-Ryan

·
Registered
96 Posts
I forgot the pics again. They are easy to make. What I did was pulled of all the fabric of the fiber board panel and cut the abs to fit. After I cut it to fit I tape the two panels together and cut the holes for the door handle. And the arm rest. I do not have door speakers anymore so I did not have to worry about that. If you would like you could even keep the top part of the panel. And screw it into the abs. The abs is lighter and easier to clean. And I like the looks better then the fabric.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do a set with lightweight aluminum sheet for the flat part, and re use the top part that runs below the window. Would be a great snap-in for race days, I could make it so it covered the speaker area and deleted the inside handle.

So, anybody got a good suggestion for some lightweight aluminum sheeting? Where can I get some?
-Ryan

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
I emailed Jim at MGI a couple of weeks ago and asked him about making a 94-97 door panel. I also asked him if it would be possible to delete some of the holes in the panel. (I'm going to use leather straps instead of the normal door handles).

Jim was able to handle all my request and the door panels showed up today. Now I have to get to work and do some upholstering.
I'm driving out to New Hampshire for a week to deliver some custom made furniture, but hopefully I'll be able to check the fit when I get back next week.
If you have any question drop me and email and I'll pass you Jim's address or phone number.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts