ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any how-to's of removing cruise control and ac, and what would be needed.

Never use either of them and looking to shed a few pounds.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
cruise control: remove the canister under the hood, and vacuum line. plug the vacuum line, and remove the cable from the foot pedal. That'll remove the main part of cruise control.

To completely remove it you'll need a new pedal (not worth it for weight savings) the CC brain (in the dash, not worth it for weight savings) the cruise control stalk to non c/c stalk (not worth it for weight savings)

So to do a perfect deletion you would need:
1 vaccum cap
1 plug to plug the hole in the firewall
1 non c/c pedal
1 non c/c stalk

The A/C, you just pull out everything condensor, lines, evaporator. If you have or plan on keeping power steering, you'l need to get:

the no A/C yes PS belt

You'll also need to get into the dash and remove the A/c unit in the dash (forgot what it's called) and install a plastic pipe in its place.

You'll also need the a/c elimination button for your HVAC controls.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,125 Posts
I wouldn't pull the CC unless you ABSOLUTELY are looking for every last bit of weight you can remove. Relative to how difficult it is to completely remove the system, it's just not worth it because the actuator, et al weigh almost nothing.

The AC system, on the other hand weighs about 35lbs once it's entirely removed. I had mine professionally done.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, got some things to think about, but I do plan and yanking it all out and cleaning up under the hood a little.

Only used the cruise once and it didnt hold a constant speed, accelerated about 15 mph more then what I set it, backed off, and then did it again. I also dont do enough long distance on the freeway to justify it.

Who needs AC when the roof comes down, and the Florida sun is great, even in the middle of summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post here and hopefully it's helpful. The file I attached is intructions for AC installation, but removal is proabably the reverse of install. What's helpful is the exploded diagram at the end.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ive been removing my ac system this morning and all i have left is to plug the holes in my firewall and remove the compressor. i unsure whether to try to remove any wires that lead to the system. any advice or pics? ive been looking everywhere.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,504 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
come on it says "noob" for a reason... :fab:
but seriously ive searched everywhere for the last couple of days, and all i find is questions about buying a shorter ps belt or questions about the delete tube. (pointless thing to buy btw.)

·
Big Pimpin'
8,504 Posts
At least he searched, instead of creating a new topic.
No flame intended :p

come on it says "noob" for a reason... :fab:
but seriously ive searched everywhere for the last couple of days, and all i find is questions about buying a shorter ps belt or questions about the delete tube. (pointless thing to buy btw.)
Thank you. Really. The Oregon noobs don't fail like all the other ones :woolery:

Back on topic. I've thought about deleting my A/C but figured its more trouble than its worth. I do like my CC though. Makes highway driving much more tolerable and I get better gas milage :fab:

·
Registered
114 Posts
yea ive seen some pretty sad posts fron some people on here....
im about 80% done with removing the whole sstem, but i cant find any info on what wires in the engine bay can be removed. and i havent touched the compressor(ran out of daylight). i dont drive on the freeway to use the CC so it whaatever to me honestly.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,504 Posts
Not sure I can be of much help with the wiring. Try looking over at miata.net for more info. They have some pretty good write ups for stuff like that

·
Registered
930 Posts
keep the ac fan on though and wire it to the other fan. then run a wire and switch to the cockpit to ground out the fans :)

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
For wiring removal what I do typically is:
-Disconnect battery DUH!!(I don't do it for non-electrical work like most people/places reccomend but when I'm doing wiring I usually remove the battery entirely LOL
-start at a connector no longer in use
-CAREFULLY undo the wire loom
-trace all wires as far back as possible(in most cases all the way to the firewall)
-cut the same colored wires 1 by 1.....if there are more than one wire of the same color, start back @ the connector & grab it & just follow it....don't want to cut the wrong one :p
-once you get to a main block connector under the dash, depin the no longer used wires

I've only done the full steps so far for the dash harness & I gotta say it's a PITA & VERY time consuming but SOOOO worth it having a cleaner engine bay/dash harness

so far electric wise I've removed:
-ALL AC/heater components & their dash harness wiring(haven't bothered to trace it past the dash harness connectors yet)
-Bose stereo & all it's wiring
-Cruise control & it's dash harness wiring
-Rear defrost wiring
-cigarrete lighter/passenger airbag switch & wiring
-both airbags & dash harness wiring

1 - 20 of 35 Posts