GoMiata black, mesh grill
PlanetMiata tow hooks

Interior
HardDog hardcore, hardtop, single diagonal roll bar from Bethania Garage
RSpeed chrome vent rings
Advanced Autosports pop-vent windows L+R

Engine & Transmission
Bored .20 over 1.8L with a refreshed head
Rebuilt 5 speed with an Exedy OE clutch from Goodwin-Racing and 75w-90 Castrol Syntec
Shifter rebuilt with PlanetMiata's full kit
4.10 open differential
RSpeed's VC bolt set

Exhaust
Raceland stainless steel 4-2-1 header
Enthuza hi-flo catalytic converter
Racing Beat Power Pulse (resonated), stainless steel midpipe
Flowmaster 60 muffler
Flowmaster dual, round, angle-cut SS tips from AutoAnything

Suspension
EZ Streets

Brakes, Wheels & Tires
NB 15s
195/50 Falken Ziex 912s up front, Kuhmo Ecsta ASTs out back

Maintenance log
(1/9/13) First broken-in oil change at 155,850 with Mobil1, 5w-30 oil and filter
(2/5/13) New Mazda driver's window regulator installed with new guides L+R, both doors re-greased
(3/27/13) New Felpro VC gasket along with NGK wires
(4/14/13) Both accessory belts replaced
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, after 10+ years of loving Miatas I'm finally starting on my dream car. :D

Here it is, '94 base 5spd, triple black with 155k miles:

Its been sitting like this for about a year and a half due to bad valve seals and me trying to save up

Hood is beyond repair because of a hail storm

Trunk had a rack and has hail damage as well but I've got a straighter Mariner one to replace it

Engine and transmission are to be rebuilt. Had the VC, camshafts and such off a few months before when attempting to fix only the valve seals but we just decided to do it all, once.

Finally managed to get the practically welded on heatshield off!! :scream: Most of the engine accessories, too

No good there. :fp:

Realized it had to be in gear to stop the driveshaft we put that back in and then took FOREVER to get the four nuts and bolts off the shaft, they were torqued down crazy! Eventually succeeded. :p

Unbolted the trans from the PPF and associated wiring and after all day they were out!

Plan is:
To tear it all down possibly next week, take the transmission to be rebuilt and take the block/head to a machine shop, and order all the engine stuff.
Buy all the bodywork materials which I'll try my hand at as well. :roll: And my Dad is gonna paint it red. :D
Once we get it on the road and all set I'll start on the interior, too.

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Re: Adam's retro red NA

Couldn't sleep so decided to divorce the two.

Pilot bearing literally fell out and apart. :fp:

Rear main seal had been replaced but was leaking; same Exedy OE clutch I have as a replacement was in there, too.

Sometime this week I'm dropping the transmission off at a shop, fo free. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts

Good luck on the build. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Keep up the good work! I want to do a retro/rod miata for my dream build. But that will have to wait until after college :)

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Update!

Got all the accessories off, drained the oil and started tearing it down

Pulled the head to a nice surprise :D The walls are fine, minimal honing needed, no ridges. Pistons themselves look great, skirts look good, hardly any scarring anywhere so they're going back in! New rings and bearings of course though.

Glanced at the head, WOAH!

Ridiculous amounts o carbon!!

Will be reworked and getta valve job, and have new lifters, seals, etc

A p.o. had all but Gorilla glued the new oil pan seal
New main bearings and an oil pump/sending unit on the list

In pretty good condition, little wear but it will be turned. New bearings, too

Not the best picture but they seem fine, definitely gonna inspect them closely before though

Camshafts aren't pristine but they'll do

All new gaskets throughout as well so yeah. :) Excited!!

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Update-

Got my transmission back today with all new syncros and bearings
Flywheel is being turned today
Got two good leads for machine work
Received a full tan carpet set & plastic panels thanks to sfl_miata, still huntin' for some good door panels
Got my Raceland header couple days ago
Welds look great and shipped fast

·
Registered
185 Posts

nice lil project bud, Is the car rust free? my first Miata came from the Gulf and it's about to split in half b/c it's soo rusty lol

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

As far as I can tell yeah its cancer free. Always been a southern car apparently, delivered in South Carolina and now I have it in Alabama. If it does have a little rust, maybe in the rockers it wont be a big deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Courage mon ami ,ce ci dit" blu92 " ,tu te trouve à la moitié du plaisir ,l'autre moitié est de rouler avec ta miata ....
: Littlepony:
Sujet à surveiller de près ;)

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Finally got around to cleaning my new carpet well. Simple green scrubbed in and a very good rinsing out gave this 227k set new life:

Those are the floormats my parents snagged outta the NB before trading it in on our Civic Si. They don't match at all though. :lol:

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Traveled to a suggested machine shop today and dropped off my block, crank, head, oil pan and one of the engine's covers (timing cover I guess I'd call it) Got everything wrote and outlined out for the build including all sorts of bearings, freeze plugs, oil pump, full gasket set, etc. Machine work itself is lookin' like ~$485 and with additional parts its approaching $750 for the whole nine yards. This is all if he doesn't find anything else to bump up the price but I'm comfortable with the price and this guy so I'm excited to get it back and crank her up. :D

·
··
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

So my budget just skyrocketed as I expected really. XD
Spoke with my machine guy recently and the block was out of round so it has been bored. 20 over, means new pistons. Head is ready to go, had 2 ex. and 1 in. valves bent. :fp:! Seals were indeed toast as well. Crankshaft had to be ground down. 10. He's factory direct or whatever so he's gotten all possible seals and gaskets and the oil pump and numerous other things there for us. Thought about it alot and I just gotta ante up and replace my cams and maybe my rods so I'm researching now.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts