ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So it's summer time and as I get older I'm realizing the value of air conditioning and unfortunately my base model 99 Miata never shipped with it so I'd really like to add it.

I did some searching but I couldn't find any threads dedicated to the topic of adding it to a car that never had it. Most of the posts are around guys who removed it and want to add it back or update it to R134A from R12.

I've found some "kits" at online sources like treasure coast & alike so I can buy all the parts however I want to know what I'm in for. The questions I have are:
- Are there any write ups that someone could direct me to?
- Does the dash need to be pulled (guessing yes since it looks like the heater core box is combined w/ A/C on these cars)?
- Are all the electrical connections included with the main harness on base model cars even if they didn't ship w/ A/C so it's "plug & play"?

Thanks very much!

·
Administrator
15,443 Posts
Hi everyone,

So it's summer time and as I get older I'm realizing the value of air conditioning and unfortunately my base model 99 Miata never shipped with it so I'd really like to add it.

I did some searching but I couldn't find any threads dedicated to the topic of adding it to a car that never had it. Most of the posts are around guys who removed it and want to add it back or update it to R134A from R12.

I've found some "kits" at online sources like treasure coast & alike so I can buy all the parts however I want to know what I'm in for. The questions I have are:
- Are there any write ups that someone could direct me to?
- Does the dash need to be pulled (guessing yes since it looks like the heater core box is combined w/ A/C on these cars)?
- Are all the electrical connections included with the main harness on base model cars even if they didn't ship w/ A/C so it's "plug & play"?

Thanks very much!

1) I haven't seen a write up, buuuuuuut... i've removed the entire system in one of my NB1s, and i have a complete functioning setup in my other NB1, so i'm happy to give you a hand with "what goes where" if you need it. :)

2) You MIGHT be able to get away with just pulling the glove box, but pulling dash is easiest.

3) I'm not positive. I would imagine so, there's not actually much to the system electrically, so it wouldn't make sense to make a new harness just over 3-4 wires. Buuuuut, it IS Mazda, so logic doesn't necessarily apply.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol thx for the reply.

I will definitely have questions about where things go for sure since this would be a retrofit scenario.

Yeah I agree w/ the different harness wouldn't make a ton of sense. I couldn't find any random connectors that were just laying unplugged when I looked in the engine bay for the compressor itself so that's what prompted the question. However I do have plugs laying on either side of the engine bay for OEM foglights which my car didn't ship with so I'm not sure. I definitely don't want to have to run a whole new main harness so if it's not included, I'd have to find a main harness w/ those plugs and make my own patch setup which stinks but I suppose that's not the end of the world too if I can find the electrical diagrams for it.

·
Administrator
15,443 Posts
There would only be a 1 wire connector for the AC compressor. It's a small pin-style sorta thing. Looks like it would be a female spade connector, but it's not. Will have round bullet female in it. White/off-white plastic plug. Wire would be black.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There would only be a 1 wire connector for the AC compressor. It's a small pin-style sorta thing. Looks like it would be a female spade connector, but it's not. Will have round bullet female in it. White/off-white plastic plug. Wire would be black.
Just took a look at the main harness that runs across the top of the engine and around the front connecting to the P/S pump and the MAF and such. I cannot find any spare wires or connectors hanging off the loom.

They don't hide spare connectors in the loom do they? I don't want to tear apart the harness unless someone knows if they have those connectors buried in there or something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wanted to update this thread. So there is a connector buried under the plastic part that is supposed to hold the A/C relays in cars that had it (little black connector attached to the body) that seems to be the right wire for the A/C compressor. So this may be simpler than I thought if that's the right one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It could be a challenge adding an air conditioning unit in car that never had it at the first sight. Relax, with the advancement of technology these days you can pretty much make any car run on gas or transform it into a hybrid not to mention installing an air conditioner. First of all you should go online and search for an AC that suits your needs and budget. The next thing to do is find some good A/C repair services and entrust them with task of installing it. No need to do it by yourself if you don't have the skills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts