ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got ya!!!
Yeah didnt think of the liability. I was looking to hook people up with some quality stuff they could afford.

Yeah, I dont want to worry about that.

If they workout I will let you know.

Thanks for brining up some solid points. I was just so happy to have this work out ;)

-Jeff

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
In no way do I want to deter or discourage you from trying. I could just tell that you were thinking aloud here and probably hadn't thought of all the angles yet. The last time you and I discussed this we didn't talk about liability. It's hard being the nice guy sometimes. We live in a very litigious society and people love to sue even nice people when they make mistakes.

More food for thought:
Would "Drop Spindles" be a good idea?
aluminum a-arms
Adjustable Control Arms
i Would like to see After market Control Arms

Who would benefit most from your proposed adjustable control arms? What alignment values are you hoping to acheive with them? I guess track width would remain the same as oem? What size wheels will these work with? Will I need to cut/roll my fenders, add flares, or use adjustable coil overs? Etc., etc.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Freedomgli:

I remember that post :D
That was a different shop. The one I am working with now actually did alot of work for the other shops race car :wink:

Your points are excellent,and I was thinking more out loud.

I know I can probably have a quality part made at a decent price. Again, I am def a budget racer and that is why I am looking into these for myself. These would be an excellent product. The man that would make these will not make anything but quality.
These would be a less functional piece than alot that bill had posted. They ould simply be made the handle camber after caster is where you want it using the eccentric crap.

For an NB I am talking about 7 or 8 caster and -2.5 and up with out a problem. Thats all I needed these to do.

I personally run 15x8 sportmax. The ones everyone has ;) I run these on my car dumped on STANCE coil overs. When I say dumped I mean I used a BFH to manipulate the top of the inner wheel well not to hit my 195/50/15 Hankkok RS2. So now I have full travel and no contact..

I didnt plan on these widening the track. They would fit as if stock and just have Camber adjustment.

What Material do you suggest I use for strength??

-Jeff

Oh, PS- I am still going to pursue this. Just maybe not for the public due to the liability issues. I am not into that :)

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
As they say in the bicycle business, steel is real. For a custom job that's going to see lots of abuse there really is no other choice. Aluminum is a great, lightweight material but I wouldn't trust it unless the builder was an aluminum fabrication PRO. Even then I'd rather have the piece of mind of 4130.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Keep in mind that if you decide to use CrMo I would have it normalized after welding to alleviate hydrogen embrittlement and reduce the liklihood of fracture at the welds. Or just fab it up out of mild steel and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, on the liability front, is that you could always help the community by posting detailed specs and a parts list (for the off-the-shelf stuff like heim joints, turnbuckles, etc). Then anyone who has access to quality fab services could have theirs made cheap.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you lengthen the front leg of the arm, and make the rear leg shorter, you will move the outer end of the arm backwars, thus increasing caster.

-Mike

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Holy crap, TheBirthCanalPal is on here...lol Hey man!
Yeah, the 240sx market is much more developed for adjusting ANYTHING. I tried talking Kuah at www.splparts.com into making some adjustable arms for the Miata, but no dice thus far.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts