BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a set, anyone interested?

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine will be super long for crazy steering angle.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
i have been trying to get a set from the guy over there for over 6 months......lets see what ultimateforce can come up with

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Can you please clarify exactly what you plan on making? What would longer tie rods do for you? Isn't steering angle ultimately limited by your wheels/tires making contact with control arms, steering rack, tie rods, or fenders?

·
Registered
405 Posts
You are correct freedomgli. With the stock miata setup though, you have room with the stock rack, and then when you go to 0 offset or neg. offset wheels, you get more room on the inside which allows for more angle. Eventually your limited by your rack rather than your control arms/swaybar.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to take some pictures on what I was up to this week anyway, I was just wondering if I should make notes on what I was measuring in case anyone else wanted a set.

Basically I want to increase the angle of steering on my stock Miata wheels as far a possible for CRAZY STEERING ANGLE.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Thanks for helping to explain. It can be difficult without diagrams to help visualize what's going on. So by having a wider track width (accomplished via wider wheels with low offsets) you have more room on the inside wheel lip before it makes contact with the steering rack. How can you take advantage of this extra room? If the total steering rack travel remains unchanged wouldn't you need to modify where the tie rods are affixed to the hubs to get the wheels to turn more for the same amount of steering wheel movement?

·
Kicked off the island..
3,062 Posts
See if this helps...

http://www.battleversion.com/ae86_steering_spacers.htm

INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALL:

1. Jack up the front of the car

2. Remove the boot on the inner tie-rod (tie-rod to steering rack)

3. Remove the outer tie-rod from the inner tie-rod. (loosen the locking nut then spin it off)

4. Remove the Inner tie-rod from the rack. (large open end needed)

5. Remove the stock spacer from the tie rod. (squared)

6. Slide the Level 7 Tune spacer on the inner tie rod (where the threads are)

7. LOCTITE!!!! the threads and thread back in.

8. Reverse the steps. to reinstall.

9. Do the same to the other side

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
All factory tie rods are adjustable. I don't think making longer tie rods for the factory tie rod ends will do anything to increase the amount of steering angle you can achieve on an otherwise stock Miata. My guess is that they'd only be necessary if you had super crazy Nopro JGTC 300 track width via longer control arms and you needed the extra length to reach the hubs. Simply lengthening the tie rods will give you crazy toe-in. I understand how the Level7 Tune inner tie rod spacer increases steering angle by effectively lengthening the rack so you get a little bit more travel before hitting the stops but you must shorten the tie rod to get back to normal toe.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Heim joint ones would be sweet for bumper steer adjustment too....but I'll end up making my own.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
For people running Level7 tune tie rod spacers (or equivalent) are you also running manual steering racks? I can see how simply lengthening the rack to get more travel might wreck havoc on the power steering hydraulics as mentioned in the AE86 link posted above by Miatadam.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Heim joint ones would be sweet for bumper steer adjustment too....but I'll end up making my own.
I don't see how Heim joints would help with bump steer since both inner and outer tie rod ends are ball joints. To fix bump steer issues you need to relocate the relative position of the tie rod so it's more parallel with the control arm. If you're really low you might even want to do this in conjunction with lower ball joint roll correction spacers.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I'm game. I'm in the same Boat as Noah. Chelsea (Level7tune maker/sponsored and IEnjoyDrifting on here) was supposedly making a newer version, but haven't heard anything new on it. I've talked with Toby (drftroadster) a couple of times and he's told me a few times that Chelsea was having problems sourcing a person with a mill to make a large quantity of them for a decent price, IIRC.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I think I see what your talking about now. You'd put a double shear connection at the inner tie rod and a mounting bolt at the outer tie rod would go through a spacer for bump steer correction. I still like ball joints in this application, though, as they're robust and have the proper taper for the hub.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts