ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'll make this simple. My Stepfather has the opportunity to take a new job in Australia. They have given me the option of staying here in the states or going with them. Obviously I want to jump on this as I always wanted to go.

But, what are some things to look out for if I do? Id have to leave my cars behind and a quite a lot more. But whats the quality of living there? How easy is it to find work?

Ive been searching around but I thought I would ask you guys for some input.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
what you should look out for is EDM/ADM **** for our Miataz and as soon as you get back to Louisiana i will pay for shipping. :woolery:

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be good to note what your work/education background is! I'd go regardless, at least for a little while if you have no obligations.

Highschool Diploma. Have worked in the service industry (Waiter) and as a Mechanic for a body shop. Im 22 BTW

·
Registered
531 Posts
Well it depends on the visa you will be traveling / staying there under. Normally you cannot work when visiting and sometimes residing in a foreign country, so make sure you get that straightened out first.

Australia is far from the worst country in the world to obtain a work visa, and it's possible to get certain visas without actually having a job offer first. Most countries won't allow that period.

How old are you? This is important; under 18 and under 25 make a difference versus over 18 / over 25 as far as work related stuff goes in Australia.

Also OZ is fond of it's Commonwealth membership and offers citizens from countries like, say, Canada or the UK work / visitor opportunities that you won't get as a US resident. The country you are from is just as important as the country you are planning to travel to when it comes to this stuff.

This stuff has to be figured out / visas secured before you step foot in Australia. If there is a problem, typically you would have to leave Australia, get it fixed, then return. Generally you can't fix it while you are actually standing in the particular foreign country where it matters.

If you are caught working with a visa that does not allow work, you will probably be deported. That is a big deal and affects any future travel even if not to the country you were deported from. Avoid that at all costs.

Every country is different, there are always exceptions / limitations compared to some other country. Find out everything FOR SURE.

-----

Having said all that, you need to contact the Australian embassy directly with your questions about work, residency, visas, etc. Your stepdad's employer might be able to help there too but remember the Australian Embassy is the real authority.

A forum is no place to deal with stuff like this where rules are rules and assumptions will get you in ****. Don't even listen to me ... find out for sure.

Even most citizens of Australia may not know the exact answers you need to know ... they were born there and never had to deal with this stuff so basically they have no reason to know the details.

As for Australia in general, t's different, but not that different. It's a huge country so it's hard to make general comments. Basically it's not much different than the US as in where you are makes a difference in what you experience.

I know lots of people who emigrated to Australia and Ozzies are as common in Western Canada as beer and ski poles (because like Canadians to Australia, they can come here and work on tourist visas if they're under 25).

You won't find anything too shocking when you go there, except for perhaps the Australian equivalent of F*CK, which starts with C and ends with T. If you're female get over it ... you will hear it every day. If you're not, remember to swear "in American" when you talk to anyone back home. Plus there is lots of cool things to keep you interested no matter where you end up. Unless it's Alice Springs, which is like the middle of the Arizona Dessert, only further from civilization.

Don't forget ... the seasons are opposite the US. It's summer there now.

They have some cool cars there. The Pontiac GTO is basically an imported Australian car.

Some stuff I would be telling you if you were my kid going to Australia:

If you've never been out of the country before, remember you are out of the country. Learn when to keep your mouth shut. Treat the Ozzies with some respect ... remember they fought alongside the US in Vietnam (and will probably be impressed if you actually know this, which if you didn't, now you do). If the **** hits the fan, don't be surprised if they stick together and you are on the outside, because you are on the outside. As always, religion and politics are very bad topics to jump into. Don't expect everyone to agree with you even if you are talking about something everyone at home would agree with you on.

It will probably be a lot of fun, most people who go there would go back. Enjoy yourself.

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I have been looking at all this. From what I understand so far, I can get a temp work Visa since im under 25 and will only be there for a year if I do go.

I have to call the embassy tomorrow.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you don't have a passport, get one now as in start right after you talk to the Ozzies tomorrow morning. Or before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there 91Miata23,

I can't help you with much regarding how to and should you etc as I was born here in Australia but it does look like Johnny2Bad knows what he's talking about or even has had the experience in doing so.

To be honest if I got the same opportunity to do something like what you are about to consider doing I'd do it.
You mentioned later that you were only going to be here for a year so it's even more reason to go and experience something a little different and know that you'd only have to deal with us Aussies for a year hahaha :p

Any idea where in Australia you'll be going to?

Not sure about where you are but it's Summer at the moment and it gets HOT! and doesn't snow where I am.

Anyway Good Luck with everything and I'll try to remember to check back here and see how you progress.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Might be good to note what your work/education background is! I'd go regardless, at least for a little while if you have no obligations.
I concur...

Word of the wise..."Never miss a turn".

Don't skimp on opportunities man, you just might regret it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts