ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Background:

I bought a 1990 NA6 B-Package a bit too hastily, not checking for rocker/underbody rust. The car only had 82k miles and the paint was all shiny, so I jumped on what I thought was a good deal.

Drivetrain is great, with zero leaks, even running, no smoke, smooth shifting (even more-so now that I replaced tranny/diff fluids). Interior is relatively clean for a 20yo car. Only real issue turns out to be major rocker/fender rust as you'd expect on a mid-west Miata that has seen a number of winters.

I figured the shocks needed replacing when I bought the car, but I've now found out that the driver side front spring is broken, at the very top coil section (2nd loop(?) down).

Based on the rust (it's nowhere near a show car) I was going to just replace the shocks with GR-2's. Now that I also need springs, I am not sure what to do.

I have a source for a set of used NA6 springs ($50 for the set of 4). Pairing with GR-2's ($250) and bumpstops ($65) I am looking at just under $400 all in.

My next option is Tein s.techs ($155), Koni STR.T ($270) and bumpstops, I am at $465. I like that this option gets me on new springs and would lower the fender gap a bit, but have read on Miata.net that any lowering spring other than FM's will have me bottoming out.

Which leads me to the 3rd option of the FM Stage 1 kit which is about $800 shipped.

I don't want to completely cheap out, but hate to invest 1/3 of the purchase price in a suspension if I might be happy with the #2 option. My priority is a good ride, not dropping the car. This will be a fair weather, daily driver, with little to no racing (soloII if anything).

What say ye, CR.net? I've searched all over miata.net, but while they have informative answers, they also have too many parts snobs that skew answers towards $1.5k solutions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you done with the install? Heard lots of good things about the FM setup. dont forget to use good quality bumpstops like the ones from fatcat motorsports.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Illuminas were back ordered, so I won't receive the package until late next week or more. I'll definitely post a review when installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts