ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching this a lot, but I haven't yet found anyone who has done what I want.

I love the idea of the S2000 push button start. I think it looks fantastic and it's really cool to just push a button and go. However when reading at all the guides I realized it's not quite like that. You still need to put in the key and turn it. At that point you might as well turn it a little more and avoid the hassle of putting the button in the first place IMO.

So I want to do this mod, but with no key. I know what you're thinking, what's stopping anyone from just stealing your car. The way I see it, it should work the same as OEM keyless systems, with an RFID Fob, that kills the ignition when you're away from the car.

See http://www.buyingadvice.com/keyless-ignition-systems.html.

Also I'm aware the locking mechanism in the steering column is mechanic, so you either have to remove it, or leave the key in the "on" position. I think I like the second approach, solder the key and since when you're gone the car has no power it wouldn't be an issue. Or install a switch that you can flip to give power, beside the fob being close to the car. Flipping switches and then pushing the button to start the car sounds cool too.

Actually what I want is pretty much exactly this, but for a miata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4KCe0l1ppc&feature=related

Except with something with a little more range so I don't have to take the keys out of my pocket.

Any ideas on what especific parts to buy and how to wire something like this? Has anyone done something similar? If so I'd love to hear your input.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Use the wiring diagrams and hook up a hidden switch to kill the ignition from getting any power or a master switch from the main relay to other sources of ignition. You can pull out the steering lock mechanism so there's no need to use a key. Up to you, but I don't know of anyone who's done both yet. I kept the steering lock in mine for the added security.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use the wiring diagrams and hook up a hidden switch to kill the ignition from getting any power or a master switch from the main relay to other sources of ignition. You can pull out the steering lock mechanism so there's no need to use a key. Up to you, but I don't know of anyone who's done both yet. I kept the steering lock in mine for the added security.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I have to look at it as two separate projects. Unfortunately I don't know that much about the different RFID devices available out there and I'd like something with enough range that I don't have to take my keys out of my pocket, so the 3" ones are out. Nor do I have any idea how much it'd be or where it'd be best to get one. I'll do some more research.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe something like this is what you are looking at?:
http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2633470&st=560
Refer to post #565

I myself am thinking of installing this device. Truly keyless entry (already using a 2-way alarm setup) and start without any holes drilled.
Excellent find!, thanks. That's pretty much what I'm looking to build. While that button looks pretty nice and I think it's a pretty clever idea to install it on the key mechanism, I'm pretty much set on the S2000 button where the lighter is. But I like the idea putting the key in and putting a cover over the key, hadn't thought about that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Why would you ever take out the steering lock? that's just asking the car to be stolen. With no steering lock it would take all of 3 minutes to steal a miata.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would you ever take out the steering lock? that's just asking the car to be stolen. With no steering lock it would take all of 3 minutes to steal a miata.
How? Please elaborate a little. I really wanna know.

Edit: Besides I wouldn't really take it out, just basically leave the key in all the time (under a cover lid). I guess if I felt it was really needed I could take it out to enable the steering lock again. So I really want to know, how exactly it makes your car so easy to be stolen.

·
Registered
56 Posts
^

uhh... without the stock steering lock... its just a simple matter of either kicking the panel out from underneath or unscrewing it.. hot wire and go!
that only if someone wants to steal your car..
who wants to steal a miata anyways? its a girl car :fab:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Use the wiring diagrams and hook up a hidden switch to kill the ignition from getting any power or a master switch from the main relay to other sources of ignition.
Instead of hidden switch, you could use your car alarm. Just wire it so that when alarm is off it can be started from button and alarms on, its no go..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^

uhh... without the stock steering lock... its just a simple matter of either kicking the panel out from underneath or unscrewing it.. hot wire and go!
that only if someone wants to steal your car..
who wants to steal a miata anyways? its a girl car :fab:
The whole idea of the killswitch is to stop someone from hotwiring the car. They would have to search through a lot of wiring to find where exactly is the switch. Hopefully it's too much of a bother for a Miata.

Instead of hidden switch, you could use your car alarm. Just wire it so that when alarm is off it can be started from button and alarms on, its no go..
This is an interesting idea. I'll look into it. However car alarms are sort of easy to defeat I think, so not having a steering lock might be a problem in this case.

·
CR.net Supporter
624 Posts
If you are handy, it shouldn't be difficult, take apart the cylinder lock, and hard wire the connections.

Then you have can have multiple switches orintated in which ever way to confuse would be thieves (for example, have a three switch panel, but you can orientate the switches in which ever fashion you want, i.e. the fuel cut off switch could be up to indicate it being on, power can be down etc.)

you can also hide a secret switch for the clutch engagement switch or something of that sort unseen, so that it will be more difficult.

as for the purpose of this, they have power door lock kits you should consider purchasing... then you can litteraly push a button to unlock the doors, flip some switches and you are good to go push the start button, and voila

-James

·
Registered
423 Posts
Original steering lock isnt theft proof either, far from it.
If you go to push button for doors, hide the button underside of the mirror..

·
CR.net Supporter
624 Posts
Original steering lock isnt theft proof either, far from it.
If you go to push button for doors, hide the button underside of the mirror..
for the power door lock kits, i meant when pushing a button, it is a button on a remote, so there is not button on the car... lol....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
262 Posts
How? Please elaborate a little. I really wanna know.

Edit: Besides I wouldn't really take it out, just basically leave the key in all the time (under a cover lid). I guess if I felt it was really needed I could take it out to enable the steering lock again. So I really want to know, how exactly it makes your car so easy to be stolen.
You don't have to hot wire anything. You take out ONE philips head screw, push in the clutch, and use a flat head to turn the ignition switch. Bam, car is on.

Killswitch, still not theft proof. I would never leave my car in a sucluded area for more than a few hours, and that's not very practical.

Cutoff through an alarm system? Best option if you're doing away with the steering lock.

Either way, with no steering lock, someone could easily just tow your car off forever.

·
CR.net Supporter
624 Posts
funny reading through this thread... i think there is a couple of misconceptions... first of all... it is very easy to steal a miata, or any older car for that matter...

as mentioned above you do not hotwire... that is the dumbass (i saw it in a movie) way of doing it... all you need is cordless screw driver, one thick phillips screw, a slide hammer, a flat head screw driver, and or needle nose pliers... ( i am more than happy to demonstrate this on your car if you would like, but ripping out the ignition cylinder is not pretty)

when you steal a car you never hot wire jack **** because you will still have the steering lock mechanism in place... however, even with the steering lock in place, if you put all of your weight on the car with the power steering pump going you will break whatever plastic tabs are holding the steering lock...

that being said... if someone is hell bent on steeling your car, chances are it will happen... having a kill switch is just another safety precaution... for example, you can have a clutch switch (so the switch has to be on for the clutch switch to be activated) i.e. if the switch is off, even if you push in the clutch pedal the car won't start.

second, having a fuel and elctrical cut switch hidden will also make it more difficult to steal...

however, think of it this way... they will **** up your car trying to steal it regardless...

just a point for clarification...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
funny reading through this thread... i think there is a couple of misconceptions... first of all... it is very easy to steal a miata, or any older car for that matter...

as mentioned above you do not hotwire... that is the dumbass (i saw it in a movie) way of doing it... all you need is cordless screw driver, one thick phillips screw, a slide hammer, a flat head screw driver, and or needle nose pliers... ( i am more than happy to demonstrate this on your car if you would like, but ripping out the ignition cylinder is not pretty)

when you steal a car you never hot wire jack **** because you will still have the steering lock mechanism in place... however, even with the steering lock in place, if you put all of your weight on the car with the power steering pump going you will break whatever plastic tabs are holding the steering lock...

that being said... if someone is hell bent on steeling your car, chances are it will happen... having a kill switch is just another safety precaution... for example, you can have a clutch switch (so the switch has to be on for the clutch switch to be activated) i.e. if the switch is off, even if you push in the clutch pedal the car won't start.

second, having a fuel and elctrical cut switch hidden will also make it more difficult to steal...

however, think of it this way... they will **** up your car trying to steal it regardless...

just a point for clarification...
I agree completely. The point is to make it hard enough for the kiddy that wants to take it for a joyride to go find something else. And hope that the expert thieves look for something a little more expensive for their trouble.

I really want a keyless BRB engine start, but I don't want to make it easier to still the car, but instead make it a little harder.

·
CR.net Supporter
624 Posts
I agree completely. The point is to make it hard enough for the kiddy that wants to take it for a joyride to go find something else. And hope that the expert thieves look for something a little more expensive for their trouble.

I really want a keyless BRB engine start, but I don't want to make it easier to still the car, but instead make it a little harder.
do it, and write a nice tutorial on it, so people can see what you did...

edit: i also plan on doing this some day when i actually have time... lol...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts