ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if their are companies that make aftermarket front control arms? upper and lower. My ball joints are torn and i'd like to upgrade to something beefier or higher performance.

thanks

I also saw a website where a guy had RP Speed drift tie rods. Just curious if anyone knew where he got them.

thanks guys

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Does anyone know if their are companies that make aftermarket front control arms? upper and lower. My ball joints are torn and i'd like to upgrade to something beefier or higher performance.
Yaw Power, Randy Stocker (Solomiata), Manatee Racing, any stock car race shop, etc. Few people really need them so they tend to be very expensive and there's little information to go on. You'll likely be on your own as far as proper setup. My guess is that you'll end up doing more harm than good with adjustable control arms on your car. They're typically not something you'd get for a Miata if you're just trying to upgrade to something nicer since you've got to replace the bad ones anyways. The Miata is highly sensitive to suspension changes and you'll know it if you need the added range allowed by adjustable control arms. I'd suggest you start small with spring/damper/sway bar/alignment changes and play with that for a year or two. Maybe then you'll be better able to answer whether or not you really need adjustable control arms.

I also saw a website where a guy had RP Speed drift tie rods. Just curious if anyone knew where he got them.
Try asking Rob. He runs Roadsterdrift and he's a member here also.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
My guess is that you'll end up doing more harm than good with adjustable control arms on your car.
I meant that because the OEM Miata suspension geometry is already very good for most sensible ride heights there isn't much to be gained. I could see it being nice on a semi-tube framed racer to widen the track width and compensate for revised mounting locations but on a relatively stock Miata there's little to be had. On some cars like the Nissan 240SX people replace lots of suspension members with adjustable ones but the Miata rarely needs such radical changes to perform well. My recommendation would be to find out what your optimal alignment needs to be and then go from there. Most people are able to achieve their target alignment values with stock control arms (you offset poly bushes are available right?) and few people can realize the added benefit of a slightly wider front track on a street car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see what you guys mean. All my ball joints are shot so I figured I'd upgrade.
factory upper control arms were like $200 at the dealer!!!!
thanks alot for all the help. I'm pretty new to the mazda scene so i dont know too much about aftermarket components.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can replace the ball joints themselves.
As for tie rod ends and inner tie rods, they aren't very expensive. However, if you can, look into 93LE tie rods. They handle bumpsteer much better on lowered cars b/c they were designed for the R pkg. and 93 LE which sit about 3/8-1/2" lower than stock 90-91 Miatas (the lowest of the non-special models).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
lower ball joints are easy to replace and cost arounnd $60-70+ ea for OEM or just get cheaper non-oem ones for about $50 a pair....upper ball joints are a diifferent story tho, they usually come pre assembled with the upper control arm from the factory...if your boots are torn you can just re-pack it with grease and put new dust boots for under $20 pair

·
Registered
205 Posts
I ordered the rp rods from japan, pricey but ive ran into a wall with them and thet held up ;)

+1 on the rpackage outters

but just washer the tierods for more angle, and use rpackage outters and you will be fine. oem inners are just fine and easy to replace

·
Registered
489 Posts
They cost about 3 g's. And I only know a few people who have them on their race cars (biggest being Andrew Fernandez's E Prod NB).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I could easily see mild cars running front upper control arms. These cars could definately use more front camber at the track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts