ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... after one full day of real tracking experience with instructor, I found that the experiences that I got are probably the most valuble thing in the world. It completely changed my mind and thoughs about how to modify a car and racing. I totally enjoyed the tracking event, and I will definity attent more.

So I literally scrap my previous mod list, and made a new one...

Larger radiators
Bigger brakes
New rims and tires (so to fit bigger brakes)
seat times, seat times, and more seat times
suspension
then start with the power mods... and upgrade suspesion as needed

I was running street tires on 24psi, and street brake pads... and it was... not... very... safe... lol, car started to over heat after 7-8 laps of aggressive driving.

i felt like an idiot when I look back at my old mod list... haha... so i won't bother to list them. #-o

feel free to give me more advices!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thanks for looking

Nick

Sorry...the title was driving me nuts!

Have a nice day,

-Bryan

·
Registered
145 Posts
I figure that before you go and fit huge brakes, just try to maximise what you already got. Fit some really good pads (like say Endless SSM) and use a really good fluid (and make sure that it is kept fresh and that is well bled). That'll be good enough for strong bite and an easy 7-8 hard laps before fade.

You might find that is as far as you need to go while you're learning :D IMHO, if you're just starting out, it's no point getting huge brakes that will last 20 laps if your tyres turn to mush after 5 :D Don't underestimate the value of small wheels and tyres too.... sliding = learning :D

But the rest of your list looks pretty good :)

·
2,708 Posts
Re: After thoughs from frist time tracking

So I literally scrap my previous mod list, and made a new one...

Larger radiators
Why? Were you having cooling problems? FYI, I have never had cooling problems on track days with a stock radiator in any of my cars. And this is in over 100degrees+ heat in the California desert.

Bigger brakes
Save the money unless you're planning on going to full-race slicks anytime soon. I've been dive-bombed on by Honda CRXs with stock drum brakes before.

AutoZone rotors and a good set of pads such as Hawk Blues or EBC Yellow Stuff are more then enough. Don't forget high-temp brake fluid such as Valvoline.

Absolutely.

suspension
If you're on a tight budget (aren't we all?), the famed KYB/AGX shocks with Tein S-Tech springs is a good starting point. You can get the shocks on ebay for as little as $300 for all four and springs anywhere from $90-$120.

In case you haven't noticed, Miatas are tail-happy, especially during nice, long, fast sweepers. Keep it in check by buying a larger front sway bar and keeping the stock rear on, or completely remove the rear bar.

A proper alignment is crucial also and should be numba one on your list. A nice compromise setting for aggressive street and occasional track duty is:

-1.75 camber front and rear

1/32 toe out front (for better turn-in)
1/32 toe in rear (keeps the rear in check)
max caster

For track duty:

-2.50 camber front and rear
1/16 toe out front
1/16 toe in rear
max caster

Ideally, if you track A LOT, find a Firestone dealer near you. They have an awesome deal where for $179, you get a lifetime alignment for as many times as you want. That way you can get the track alignment, have your fun, then go back and have them set it to street duty. Its also useful once you get into the fancy coilovers because after finding your desired ride-height, you will need to get it aligned again. Great for corner-balancing also!

I suggest the seat-mod for miatas also. Its a cheap way to get into a seat that actually hugs you and it actually increases your confidence because you don't have to worry about bracing yourself so you don't fly off the seat. Of course, a nice race-bucket would be nice also.

I wouldn't do too much to the engine besides the usual (RX-7 AFM, open element filter, header,exhaust) because quite frankly, it won't make much of a difference unless you go boost or spend $5000. What will make a difference is a lightened flywheel. I'm just waiting for my stock clutch to go so I can put mine on! Remember, miatas are all about handling. Nothing pleases me more then late-brakin' on a Vette and passing him up before a turn. :mrgreen:

And did I mention seat time? :mrgreen: [/b]

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
ducting your stock brakes will help a ton too. Go buy a set of Hawk blues or Hawk blacks(for street/track use) and some high temp fluid and ducting. The combo will provide more brakes than you will be able to use on street tires.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: After thoughs from frist time tracking

thanks guys for the input.

The reason for overheating maybe the following:
1) I didn't take off my front licence plate but instead, i just folded so that only it only shows the plate numbers. This option may not work sufficiently to allow air to cool off the radiator.
2) I didn't do coolent flush and I believe that the previous owner did not maintain the car properly

Brake upgrade
1) Yes, I would start off with just upgrading into track brake pads and higher temp fluids, and see how well I can abuse it.
2) Another reason that I felt that the brake was fading too much may be caused by dirty brake fluids

All I can say is that I wasn't really prepared for the track event, so I learn/noticed a lot of things that need to be change and upgrade so that I can preform better, and SAFER.

As for suspension, I want to run the stock suspension until I can fully use the stock suspension

Another set of rims and tires is because that way I can switch on and off w/ different tires under different use.

thanks guys

Nick

·
Registered
369 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:43 am]ducting your stock brakes will help a ton too. Go buy a set of Hawk blues or Hawk blacks(for street/track use) and some high temp fluid and ducting. The combo will provide more brakes than you will be able to use on street tires.
I agree 100% with this, im on the hawk blacks, with better fluid and brake fade and heating has never come up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
got abs brakes? if not, like he said,try new fluid. better even is dot5 silicone which r not mixable with dot3,4. so flush system w/alcohol. its a good way to save ur master cyl. seals. it cured my pedal sink prob. on my honda. and now, i have o pad life on my mx-5 with silicone fluid but still no fade whatsoever.

·
Registered
459 Posts
dot5 are avail @ local autozone stores and r uaually cheaper,better, and more reliable than most dot4 race fluidu like motul's. $12 for motul and even with steel lines, ur seals will eventually take a beating. unlike dot5 silicone fluid which actually lube n replenishes ur master cyl's seals. y not spend the $8 for a good product? only prob is...with such a high boiling point, if u went with $200 set of pads like the endless, they may take a while to heat up to gripping point on such a light little car!
its a good cheater way for autox without breakin da bank and cutting holes on bumpers 4 brake ducting. anyone else's advice will work too, just what ur preference and time/money will allow you to do. have fun at the tracks.
whats ur current qullifying class?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Here is what I would do if I were you.

1. Flush the brake fluid.
2. Get some decent performance tyres.
3. Unless you are REALLY hard on the brakes, the oem Mazda pads are actually pretty damn good. At least stick with a street friendly pad unless you switch to a race pad for the track days only. Unless you are experiencing brake fade (with fresh fluid), you don't need race pads.
4. Seat time seat time seat time
5. more seat time

If you are running original shocks and have over 30k the KYBs are a solid upgrade.

Other than that, keep the car as is and learn to drive it. Once you start hitting the limits of the car, then think about suspension mods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts