ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i achieve this hieght -

with the right spring combination could i have this height have the stiffness to keep my NA driftcapable?

·
Registered
332 Posts
the rear looks to low for stock bumpstops...you might want to purchase fm shock mounts.. but you might lose a lot of shock travel and probably be riding on the the mounts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but if i replace the mounts

do you think the agx is the way to go

i dont mind setting it at the hardest setting

can i get thaat hieght?

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
your best bet is to pick up a set of stance coilovers they run about 1200 and would do much better or koni's with GC springs.....

i had kyb agx shocks with stock springs on my last miata but i would look into something else.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
If I could ever get the vendor info sent to me I could sell you a set of Stance coilovers for a Club Roadster discount. HINT HINT.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i may get some stance coils

we'll see

i really wanted to try struts and springs first

wheels - still stock
i want wantanbes

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think D2 RS is worth a look. Last time I checked, the price for a set was little less than a grand, and thats monotube, shock body adj, spring perch adj, and 36 way adj (not that you need that many).

·
2,708 Posts
The problem with the AGXs is that the shock body is not any shorter then the stock shocks. So you will be riding on bumpstops if you mega-slam it. Then again, if all you are doing is drifting it, then it wouldn't matter. In fact, it might be easier to get the rear end out if you're already sitting on the bumpstops static.

Regarding the D2 (which are chinese-made, not U.K), Omnis, Stance,ect....
There are various taiwanese/chinese manufactured coilover nowadays. Their packaging and marketing is great . The manufacturing quality is pretty good too (well...). Their performance, on the other hand..............Most people will not notice the performance difference cause they drive on the street and just looking for a slammed look, great for drifters cause you get the "look", but that's about it. You get what you pay for.

Just do a search on google and read for yourself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
on miata.net
they told me if i have my car that low it will lose its function as a sports car

i figured that low with really hard settings it would be fine

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
agx is going to be hard to get that low but you can get pretty low on agx/gc with some sort of top hat replacement, chikara is what I have, but there are others that would work as good or maybe better.

if your really interested in drifting go to roadsterdrift.com and ask about common setups. right now there is a mega thread on the stance. so far they arent the solution for superslam.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
AGX shock bodies are shorter than stock in the rear. I measured mine before installation a few months ago. If my memory serves me correctly, there is around a 7-10mm difference.
However, if you plan to go lower than say....an inch or so, on AGX, FM or FCM's NB mounts should be a purschase, along with shorter progressive bumpstops.

However, due to the fact you will lost shock travel b/c of shorter shock travel, even with better mounts, I would suggest going with a fully adjustable coilover setup like Stance or Tein Flex so you can adjust ride height independently of the spring perch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You don't neccesarily need the NC mounts. They improve ride and handling but don't do much for travel. That comes from FCM's bumpstops. Check with Shaikh (its a good idea anyway). However, if you are changing the springs and the shocks, its not a big jump to go to a complete NB setup.

I am only speculating, but you might be able to use NB shocks and mounts (no adaptors required) with FCM bumpstops and FM NA springs for an extra low car that still rides and handles pretty well.

One more idea would be to use some ebay coilovers with the AGX shocks, NA ones to fit the mounts you have and with FCM bumpstops this would be low and cheep, and probably have as much travel as you can get with a miata (without modding the insides of the fenders), but the AGXs would be near ther limit with those spring rates.

I use FCM stops, AGX, and FM springs on NA mounts with good results, its not that low though.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yeah Right now Im running ground control's/AGX/and Chikara mounts works pretty well, and if i had my rear fenders rolled properly, I could go lower.

·
Registered
971 Posts
on miata.net
they told me if i have my car that low it will lose its function as a sports car
Huh? Loose its function as a sports car? And be what, a static model? That's just stupid...

I have AGX's and the old FM Springs and the car is low, even on 205/50R15 Azenis.
Ground to belt line just behind front wheel - 17"
Ground to belt line just before rear wheel - 17 1/2"

Sorry, I wasn't going to crawl on the floor to measure actual ground clearance. :mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I'm guessing what the M.net "old school" guys meant was that if your car is that low, you won't have much shock travel as well as your geometry will be pretty messed up...which is true, but "lose function as a sports car" is probably the most close-minded thing I've seen on M.net....oh wait....that's not surprising.

+1 for run-on sentences!!!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I just installed 2000 NB shock mounts in my 1990 NA my car has Racing Beat springs and Tokico shock. The mounts lower the car about an extra inch (1 inch) due to their improved design. My mounts cost me nothing but check local junkards and or ebay if you want to go that root. Also check Fat Cat Motorsports. I highly recommend the modification if you want to lower your car more without the punishing ride.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.

M2-1028

·
Registered
189 Posts
can i achieve this hieght -
with the right spring combination could i have this height have the stiffness to keep my NA driftcapable?
yea, you can do it... but I would pick a different set of shocks. The AGX's don't take well to a lower than stock ride height and that can cause faster than normal wear and a really funny "squishing" sound when move.

I only mention this because I am running the AGX shocks on 2 inch shorter springs and I will probably only get 75k miles out of them and the squishing sound is a little embarrassing.

just my $.02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts