ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went into krogers for about an hour, then went back to my car. I tried to turn it over, but i got nothing. seemed like it was getting any fuel. i kept trying to turn it over, so i waited an hour and finally it started, but it was running like ****. it was burping and the revs kept going up and down. I decided to drive it home and i had the gas pedal to the floor to get it to go anywhere. i was on the road for about 5 minutes or so then i started to see little pieces of medal on fire shooting out of my tip, so i was like "HOLY ****, WTF IS HAPPENING!" i pulled over and there was a little flame coming out of my tip. I got back in my car and continued to drive home, and my car drove great? Anybody have an idea what happened?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
yeah i know that, but i'm just wondering why
Because you have an ignition problem that was causing tons of unburnt fuel to get ignited by the hot catalytic converter. The cat doesn't make a very good combustion chamber. Unburnt fuel can actually cause your cat to get so hot that it catches the car on fire. I wouldn't drive it further in this condition until you find out why it's running so poorly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ignition? plugs, wires, ditributor cap? it has new plugs and wires

·
Registered
931 Posts
i was on the road for about 5 minutes or so then i started to see little pieces of medal on fire shooting out of my tip, so i was like "HOLY ****, WTF IS HAPPENING!" i pulled over and there was a little flame coming out of my tip. I got back in my car and continued to drive home, and my car drove great?
your story sounds so awsome. shoulda get it on video.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was on the road for about 5 minutes or so then i started to see little pieces of medal on fire shooting out of my tip, so i was like "HOLY ****, WTF IS HAPPENING!" i pulled over and there was a little flame coming out of my tip. I got back in my car and continued to drive home, and my car drove great?
your story sounds so awsome. shoulda get it on video.
not so awsome for the person behind me when the pieces of the cat were flying out on fire. lol

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It wasn't so much Grammar police as you're starting to make frustrating statements.

First you ask what happened instead of WHY what you apparently knew happened occurred, then you were trying to throw parts that didn't fit at the problem...

It's just frustrating when people come asking for help, but work ahead of the troubleshooting process. I did that crap long enough when I worked tech support Back In The Day®. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just checked my plugs and they looked fine and also checked the gap also good. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
How many miles on the car? My cat was plugged nearly solid at 125k, so much so that the front screen collapsed on itself just with normal fuel tune. Miatas run really rich, and that kills cats.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hrm.

Compression check numbers? Is it possible an injector hung open, threw a bunch of fuel through the chamber and out the tailpipe, where it postignited and melted the cat?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'll have to get my friend to do a compression check tomorrow, and then i'll post up #'s

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Any CEL? Any codes stored? '99s are notorious for OBDII Code P0300 "random/multiple cylinder misfire detected." Could be coil pack on its way out.

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
How old are the plug wires?

They can go in an instant and start the whole process. If they are the oem black wires, I would start there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts