ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I slammed the hell out of my car last week, and after a week of driving/drifting, my airbag light went on. I have a pretty built suspension and yata itself, so I was not questioning anything else (obviously) but the wiring itself that could be the issue. Sure enough, i put the car on jacks and removed the two front wheels. The airbag wiring was stripped all along both front wheel wells. I raised the car a bit to prevent future rubbing, and rerouted both wiring sets in tubes along the wheel wells, and bolted them along the well through drilled holes. This all seems to work, but now my airbag light is STILL on! Maybe this is an issue from the wiring harness itself?
I'm 16 on a dairy queen budget trying to build this drift slut, I would LOVE to keep anything cheap at all costs.
Let me know!

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Not sure if this applies to your '94, but...
Some 1.6 cars have the bag light come on when some part of the airbag computer gets a bit wonky. I'm not remembering fully if its capacitors dying or soldered wires coming loose, but it seems to not be uncommon (was starting to happen in my old '92 when I sold it). You might find some useful, relevant info on miata.net.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Isn't it pretty obvious if you found stripped wiring that chances are that that's the issue? If you're already going all-out on the car, why not just rip all of it out or pull the airbag light?

I'm going to answer my own question and assume that you don't have any safety equipment at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it pretty obvious if you found stripped wiring that chances are that that's the issue? If you're already going all-out on the car, why not just rip all of it out or pull the airbag light?

I'm going to answer my own question and assume that you don't have any safety equipment at all.
Safety equiptment as? Suspension wise?
And i meant stripped out of a plastic tube like thing it was in for which i replaced, the wires seem fine.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There are 3 wires that run from the airbag on the steering wheel to the main sensor. One of those could be registering as 'open' since it looks to be a closed loop system. (airbag returns current/amp, shows functioning) If the connection is open, it fails the air-bag sensor check.

Gust - check that code out, it's better then 2nd guessing.

say AH:
http://www.miata.net/garage/airbag_blink.html

:)

ah FIX: the 3 wires coming from the unde the console. Bridge the 2 outer wires, the center should be ground/black. I thought i had a pic, i'll upload one later. But that should fix the light.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you have replaced the steering wheel, you can gut all that wiring in the fender wells as they go to the crash sensor for the air bags. If you still have the air bags/wheel installed. Good time to remove it and get an Aftermarket wheel.

I say this because you messed up the connection to the sensor based on your first post. So fix the wiring, or remove it...

Only issue you will have is emmissions sometimes checks for startup sequence. Which they expect the air-bag light to function, and turn off. If you don't have this constraint, then you should be fine just deleting the whole bulb for it and related wiring that's in the wheel-well.

·
Cr.net is addicting
2,081 Posts
Chances are when you tire rubbed the plastic cover over the wires it pulled or stretched the air bag wires . If the car is just for the track pull everything out and double check the wires that are left on that side .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts