ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember my dad telling me about a suspention setup that he was thinking about doing to his old car when he was a kid. The way he described it he would be able to pull into a gas station, pop the trunk and add air to a chamber (im guessing the shock) which made the height of the car change. Im thinkin this would be nice on a miata. anyone heard of anything like this?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yes, some lowriders use air bags but they typically have onboard compressors. Most airbag setups use cylindrical storage tanks to serve as pressure reservoirs/accumulators so there is always sufficient air pressure on hand to inflate the airbags and raise the car. This also allows one to use a smaller, lighter, and less expensive compressor that doesn't need the throughput to keep up with real time demand - instead it's just powerful enough to top off the storage tank when needed.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I want a setup like that for my xB, but that costs money that I could be spending on the miata.

·
Kicked off the island..
3,062 Posts
There are such things as air shocks. They are available for most trucks and are used for towing purposes, to give the shock a little more dampening force. They are available through most any auto parts stores for around 50 dollars a pair. Pretty sure they aren't available for many cars other than those that come factory with them such as towncars, cadillacs, etc. I had a set on a lowrider ranger i had a few years ago. I saw it as a cheap way for adjustable air ride suspension.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yes, there exists both air shocks and air springs (often called air bags). I think the right one to choose depends on the intended use but I have little experience in this area so I cannot offer much guidance. Many motorcycle forks have both oil and air (or nitrogen) inside and the air pressure is adjustable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts