ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have the trunk, how was the fitment and what adjustments did you have to do? My right side gap was smaller than left so I widened the hole in the bracket and it helped a bit. The left side sat way too low on the left side but the trunk wouldn't stay open by itself with no spring. I re-installed the left side spring only and now the trunk sits way too high on the left side. Any suggestions to get this **** flush?

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Don't use a spring and don't expect OEM fitment.

Roomate has the trunk and it's a pain in the ass.

No spring, you have to pop the latch and then use the key, latching it is scary, and fitment is decent enough that it isn't terrible.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
My trunk has a larger gap on the passenger side than the driver's. I drilled my stock latch so I could lower it more. It's not terrible but it definately isn't OEM quality either. I am using the spring, I supposed that removing it might allow it to sit a little more flush.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was scared to keep the spring in. I thought I was going to break the trunk lid with how strong the tension was on the spring (even in the lowest strength setting). And yeah, fitment isn't exactly perfect, I'll probably revisit that area soon and try and get it fitting a little better (I'm not an expert panel fitter btw lol). Still a nice piece overall though.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The trunk is initially made and designed for weight reduction for our race car before it was offered to the miata community. The oem trunk is about 14lbs. and our trunk is half the weight of that. The springs are rated for heavier trunk. If you do not un-hook the tension rod, it will try to push the fiberglass trunk open, creating a gap.

Mike

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
The trunk is initially made and designed for weight reduction for our race car before it was offered to the miata community. The oem trunk is about 14lbs. and our trunk is half the weight of that. The springs are rated for heavier trunk. If you do not un-hook the tension rod, it will try to push the fiberglass trunk open, creating a gap.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. The trunk definately is lighter than the OEM unit. I love the look it adds to the car and the gap never bothered me. However, I think I am going to remove the springs anyways. Save a few more ounces :lol:

·
Registered
446 Posts
My AK CF V2 trunk fits okay. Mine is centered but, I have a gap where the trunk meets the body near the soft-top. Basically, my lid sits higher than the body. It is frustrating but, you cannot expect OEM fitment for the cost of AK's products.

Mike

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
No problem Quinn!

@Rdrcr- can you send me pics? When did you purchase yours? If you send it back, i can replace it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No problem Quinn!

@Rdrcr- can you send me pics? When did you purchase yours? If you send it back, i can replace it.

Hey grinder,

I still have my decklid springs installed and perhaps that is creating tension on the AK lid and causing the gap. How do I remove them?

Mike

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hey grinder,

I still have my decklid springs installed and perhaps that is creating tension on the AK lid and causing the gap. How do I remove them?

Mike
They just pop right out, you'll need a screwdriver or something as they are under a bit of tension.

Mine sat like yours did until I removed those springs- fitment is much better without them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No problem Quinn!

I removed the trunk springs. It did help the fitment but, I still do have a small gap and the lid sits slightly higher than the rear fenders. I'll take some pics when I get some time.

Mike

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone come up with a solution/bracket to keep the trunk lid up without a prop? I hate the uneven gap the spring causes, but I hate not being able to put the trunk up on it's own more.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
We're going to make the trunk a little heavier to see if it,ll work with the tensioner on.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I suggest removing all of the trunk spring/tensioner and replace them with a damper from an EG6 rear window lifter/damper. you'll only need one since the damper's compression is just enough to lift the OEM trunk and with a CF trunk it won't be a problem.

By using this damper, you'll remove the tension off the trunk's latch that makes the trunk "lift up" when the tensioner is on. As you can see in the pix most of the "push" coming from the damper is on the middle portion of the trunk, removing the tension from the trunk latch. You can then adjust the fitment of the trunk to align with the body by moving the lock of the trunk upwards or downwards

·
Registered
376 Posts
good for you guys, mine is fucked up

already removed all the trunk spring/tensioner, played with the trunk latch, and no luck either after drilling my stock latch to lower it more

·
Banned
72 Posts
had some issues on mine, but they are replaceing it with a new one. the fitment was perfect on mine except for one corner which was abotu 1/4 lower than it needed to be. other corner was same way. tryed using a washer but then it created a gap on both sides adjacent to the defective corner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts