ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a post I just made on the other site. A topic started there by Kyle (Freedomgli) much earlier last year. I am thrilled with the results. Some might not understand the center lock wheel thing, but I think some on here will get it just fine. Thanks for looking.
Best Always
Alden

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=182851 :lol:

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I hate to be the a-hole here... but that just looks completely wrong. It sticks out way too much. The knock-off is too big. Also- it's just too obvious that it's a fake knock-off.

I think Dayton and others sell real knock-off conversion kits. That would yeild far, far, far more satisfactory results.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mistake. I didn't mean to be offensive in my reply, just wanted to let everyone know that I got the point. I do like most things on this site, just don't know what's considered appropriate by the vast majority here yet.
Alden

·
Registered
692 Posts
hey alden- dont worry too much about what everyone else thinks is tight or lame, just dont forget to have some fun.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,106 Posts
My mistake. I didn't mean to be offensive in my reply, just wanted to let everyone know that I got the point. I do like most things on this site, just don't know what's considered appropriate by the vast majority here yet.
Alden
Alden...

You shouldn't think of "what's considered appropriate here" in terms of styling or parts, etc. Your style is your style. This place is about people expressing their vision of how things should be. There's no reason why we have to have a collective version of that vision. This isn't M.net ;)

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Way to follow your vision, Alden!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Nice project. But then again, I'm partial to knockoff spinners and I think the look is great for someone who's going for that Racing Mate early 1960's club racer look. Alan and I have spoken quite a bit about this project and our different approaches. He really wanted the look of a spline hub car that was converted from wires to alloys. I think he succeeded and I'm surprised at how well it turned out using the oem daisy wheels. The look I'm going for (if I can ever get my project done) is that of a 1960's Lotus Elan club racer or 26R which is black wheels with big tri-bar spinners similar to the Halibrand wheel nuts used on 289 Cobras and Ford GT40s. Of course, any experts will instantly recognize that its not "real" but neither Alan nor I wanted a knockoff conversion kit. They're heavy, are easily damaged, and wear out quickly (<60k miles) which requires new splined hubs AND 4 new alloys each time. I think a project like this is perfectly appropriate for a Miata which is all about the nostalgia and emotion of that earlier era but without all the work. Not everyone likes the heritage (retro) look, not everyone likes the racer look, not everyone likes the retro racer look. But it is unique and different, just like how the Pitcrew front end conversion is an acquired taste. Yeah, my friends all made the Ben Hur roman chariot jokes when I first started talking about my project but they all agreed that it would look cool with the theme I'm shooting for with my car and are eager to see them. I think following from behind they'll look awesome sticking out from the wheel centers.

Alan's inspiration

My inspiration

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Kyle, and everyone who expressed an opinion, positive or negative. I think what made me wince a bit was someone's comment that this wasn't "our style here." But perhaps that was taken out of context by me. I happen to like both of the sites I visit for my miata fever, and I see room for both in my car's world. I'm not blinking back any tears over this, guys, it's OK. I just rode my mower past the car this AM, back and forth (I was actually mowing grass) and I still am happy as a clam. I did scale the proportions of the spinners vs the wheels vs the "conversion centers" before doing this, and I know it is very close. I think it looks fake to some because there is not one on this site who doesn't know a 7 spoker when he sees it. But here's to moving ahead.
Best always
Alden

·
Mufasa in Training
31,106 Posts
FWIW, I too am looking for the retro racer look, somewhat similar to Kyle's idea, though I don't think it'll ever be a complete version, as I know that I will make compromises for the sake of performance :)

·
Mufasa in Training
31,106 Posts
I will add, Alan, that at least I think you did a good job, even if I don't really like it. Doing something right is a lot better than doing something cool, but all wrong :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Good job. The concept of making your car your own, reflecting your taste, AND doing so by methods of fabrication, as opposed to only throwing jdm import catalog parts at it is one that gets a big thumbs up from me. =D>

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, I mean it, and if you makes anyone feel better, my wife laughed her head off at the Ben Hur pic, and so did I. So much for bruised egos, life must go on. Now, what does anyone think of a side stripe which duplicates the Elan Sprint graphics and font, but says Roadster Sprint? I know, I may be asking for it, but what the heck. My only badging now is a Roadster badge at the rear, ala JDM MX5.
Alden

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing. Alan, check out my photo gallery. I'm certain I have some pics somewhere of Lotus style paint jobs on Miatas, Zoom Elan body kits on Miatas, and a pic of a Sprint type graphic that says Eunos Sprint or something like that. If not in my Mazda gallery it is in my yet to be uploaded Lotus gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72057594113103622/

·
Registered
592 Posts
Zoom Elan kit my friend, Zoom Elan, then yellow wheels and BRG paint w/ yellow stripes. Great start so far.
Had the knock offs on the Sunbeam Alpine (my first car). One day screwing around I dropped the clutch and the knock of came loose and the car woudln't move. Thought I toasted the clutch, until my Dad made me try to drive the car, he laughed his ass off as the knock off spun and the wheel wouldn't move.

Just kidding, of course. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts