ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have had plenty of projects, but this will be my first build thread as well as my first miata. A bit of background, I have picked up this 1995 montego blue 1.8 miata off a close friend for $1200 with 78xxx miles on it. It had been sitting in his backyard for about 2 years "supposedly" needing a new clutch. So i towed it home (about a block) put fluid in the master, charged the battery, and I was cruising around that night!

The car is not perfect, needs a new top, his dog ate half of it :fp:, and needs paint bad. Runs great though. It is bone stock, but drives awsome on the local canyon roads. My goal is to build a good all-around performing car that I can still daily-drive. Pretty vauge but yeah, not 100% sure where I'm going with it. :roll: I ordered a bunch of stuff to get the build going, Hard Dog HC roll bar, jubiride flares, Trapp 100mm front lip, Bride seat rails, thats all I can remember.

Here it is the first night I got it (September 2011):

Before I even got the car, I picked up a pair of P-1 ltd. edition buddy club buckets for it I found on a Subie forum:

I picked up some brand new XXR 002 15x9 +0 wheels, i know i know, knock offs and played out but eh whatever, they will get me rolling for now. Had some 205/50/15 Falkens mounted. Wheels and tires for just under $700 aint to bad!:

Got this in the mail!:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Decided to do all the paint my self, somewhat of a budget build. Going with a color that is easy and can easily be touched, resprayed etc. as the buld continues. Going with a matte forest green color. Tore out cargodeck interior, to cut holes for the rollbar and begin prep for paint. Also mounted wheels and tires just because (monster truck status)

Pics of body work I've done so far:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These came in the mail.. straight from Japan, Jubiride flares and Trap lip:

Taped up the flares to see how they will look:

Took off the front bumper to try and figure out how to fix those licence plate dents: :x

Thats about it for today...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eager to see more of this. Looks good so far.
Thanks
Heat gun for dents and push em out. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
That's what i was gonna try
Pretty cool progress.
Those tires are so meaty, a nice change from the usual stretch.

Can't wait to see how the color comes out.
I would have gone even wider with 225/45 but those are more $$.

More progress to come soon, gotta cut the fenders and rear quarters and mount the flares.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I got alot done since my last post.

Cut the fenders for the jubiride flares. On the rears I cut the outer fender layer first, then cut vertical lines in the inerfenders, hamered the inerfender out until it touched the outer fender, tack-welded them together, then cut off the excess metal and finished it off with some body filler.In doing this I mainteained all the structural strength of the rear fenders and everything is all good and sealed up smooth under the flares.
Rear:

Front:

Paint is done. Color came out perfect:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spent a couple hours lastnight putting everything back on the car, coming together very nicely. Put some miataroadster hood risers on as well. Tonight I should be installing the rollbar.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
um not really. The paint was shot. Car sat in the sun it's whole life plus it was riddled with dents and scratches. Not to mention that color was hideous when the car was new. IMHO

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So last night I installed the rollbar, than realized I forgot the seatbelt reals. So had to completely uninstall it to put them in. Now I'm damn good at installing harddog rollbars though ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i got most of it together and took it for a nice sunday cruise at the local canyon:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally found a hardtop off an original owner in Hollywood. Just in time for the rain. Probably gonna paint it but for now I kinda like the white. Also, did the final installation of my flares, with black rivets and vw bug fender molding for a finished oldschool look. I also coated the fender wells with black undercoating.

Yesterday I went down to the local muffler shop and had this made up. 2.25" straight pipe from the stock resonator back with a super cool boso style tip, painted with some high heat flat black. Its actually fine for normal "economy" driving, but when I nail the throttle its loud as **** :twisted:. Cost me $70 so I'm happy.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts