ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got an alignment today and the rear camber sits at -2.2 on both sides, i want it to be -1.5, but the guy says it can't be adjusted anymore positive.
i am running tein basics for about 2 months now, everything else is stock. the rear fenders sit around 22.5" from the ground.

anyone have this problems?
should i get a second opinion?

thanks in advance,
benjamin

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
yeah. your car is too low. your wheels at static ride height has moved too far up the camber curve to be adjusted more. You need FM's lower control arm bushings or custom A arms if you want to be that low with less camber.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i kinda figure that's what's wrong.

do you know what ride height i have to be at to achieve -1.5 rear camber?

then again, my f/r toe are around 0, where i want them to be, so i'll just see if i like the current setup.

thanks so much,
benjamin

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
i just got my miata aligned today also. apparently was running like -3.6 rear camber and -1.8 before alignment.

i notched it down to -1.0 in the front and -2.5 in the rear with max casters in front.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Benjamin,

Changes in camber follow a curve and the rate of change is different at different ride heights. From hub center to fender lip measured on my 95:

From 13" to 12" you gain almost 1 degree of camber
From 12" to 11" you gain about 1 1/4 degree of camber
From 11" to 10" you gain a little more than 1 1/2 degree of camber

Hope this helps,

Bruce

·
Registered
37 Posts
if you can hit at least 23" in the rear you can get at -1.5* camber. my car was lowered enough so that i was at that height from the lift to the fender. i aligned my own car at uti and man...what a beotch.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Bruce,

Great info, I shall try this, as my rear is too low, and was curious how much the camber would change if I went up in ride height.

·
Registered
291 Posts
STS2, no problem.

Benjamin and Rob.tuner, all other things equal, height off the ground would be a good way to compare. Unfortunately, it usually isn't the case. Differences in wheel tire combos yield different wheel diameters which will effect ride height.

Even the same size tire from different manufacturers will measure different. Rim width will also have a effect on diameter. Many variables. I find the only way for me to consistently measure is from hub center to fender lip.

For example, my ride height changes from my track wheels to my autocross wheels by about 3/4". Track tires are 205/50-15, auto-x are 215/50-13. The car physically sits lower to the ground by 3/4" (cannot get over speed bumps!). Even though the ride height changes, the distance from the hub center to the fender stays the same.

Look for that measurement and your results will be more consistent.

Bruce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts