ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 2 weeks ago a lady hit my rear fender and tore it up really good...going to go get it aligned tomorrow at Performance Plus in Long Beach because they're the only ones in the area that will align a lowered car as far as I can tell. I stopped in before work earlier this week and the tech told me I might have a broken/bent rear upper control arm. I told him I actually had to go to work soon and I'd be back on Saturday, he said this without actually looking underneath the car, just the outside after I told him I would just need an alignment.

My question is, how does a bent/broken rear upper control arm look like? Would it be a definite thing I would notice just by driving the car? Beside the car making a horrible noise when hitting a bump when the rear wheel hits the fender the car doesn't seem too bad and removing my spacers actually seemed to have helped with that, now it rarely happens.

I just don't want to get reamed tomorrow when it comes down to the alignment having additional charges put on top.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never did the alignment when I lowered the car back in August and since the accident I figured I might as well do it now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
directions:

loosen wheel lug nuts
jack up car and put a jackstand underneath for safety
take off lug nuts and wheel
take GOOD pictures of said control arm
post in this thread

people will tell you if it's bent or not

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try to do it tomorrow then, thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wheel will be angled differently from all of the other wheels. Also depending on how bent it is the black paint will be cracked and chipping off at the bend.
Actually that's the thing, the wheel isn't angled, at least to me but maybe I have angled eyes lol I'll see if I can get shots later in the morning.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Tech sounds like he's trying to take you to the cleaners.
What's the cause for an alignment? Just lower your car or after the accident you noticed weird tire wear?
Not necessarily. If someone comes in to my shop, and said they had a crash, or I see the car sitting weird, I would have no problem giving them a possible diagnosis.

Mechanics aren't all crooks, in fact, almost all of us will be 100% honest with you. Being honest makes you more money in the long run, and there's a certain trust I have with my customers that I would not want to jeopardize.

@OP: Look under the car. If something's bent, you'll probably see it, or it will turn up as an excessive thrust angle or limited adjustment range during the alignment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts