ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one seems to talk about the things that go around the wheels, so here I am giving my two cents on two different offerings from Falken in the all season flavor.

First, I have two very different cars with two different Falkens on them.

On the Miata I have Falken Ziex 512, a directional tread all season. Kind of stiff on the ride, but still sort of compliant over the bumps (compared to the crappy no-name all seasons I had before). They are sized 195/50/15 wrapped around Konig Rewinds, a fairly heavy setup. They're pretty quite though and grip quite well even when cold. I haven't had a chance to punish them in the canyons, but that's coming soon.

On the WRX I just put on Falkens newer model, the 329. These are so cherry! Before I had Nankang MX500 and before that I had stock Bridgestone RE-92. The Nankangs were great all seasoners but were really stiff on the sidewall and that was reflected on bumpy roads. The original garbage RE-92's soaked up the bumps, but sucked when pushed laterally. The Falken 329 is a perfect compromise between the two. Sooo silky smooth on bumpy roads, but holds up to lateral pushing on a heavy car like the WRX (3200+ lbs. with me in it). Size is 205/55/16 on this.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
i've had 2 sets of falken 512 on my '03 civic si. 225/50-15

good tires for the price, BUT holy crap! the road noise is AWFUL. i prorated both sets because after ~20k miles, i couldn't stand the racket anymore!

i don't drive this car daily, my wife usually does, and i'm saying this about a car with a greddy evo2 exhaust on it.

i moved to a Kuhmo ASX lasfall and these tires are vastly better. i went to a 205-55-15 this time and the the turn-in is considerably sharper. the sidewalls are firmer, but despite the narrower width, they grip better. i know i paid more than the falken, but they're far quieter and handle far better. i think they're better in the rain too.

i bought them at discount tire (road hazzard warranty is worth the money for the wife).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Steve you are posting about the wife already, seems like you have been married for years. Congratulations again.
Chris

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
thanks chris, :)

we've been together for almost 4 years, living together in sin for almost that whole time.

we sold tina's '99 for extra money on the house, so she gets a free pass on anything car-related, except registration. she leaves for work before i do everyday, so she gets first pick of the cars. i've been driving the skivvie the last couple of days because it's been nice, so she takes the miata.

i tey to keep her in mind when i do anything to the cars. i'm still hesitant to install another turbo and 200hp. she_has_no_fear.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the 512's are that loud, anyways, the 329 is the replacement and are non-directional. I will say that the 329 is quieter than the 512 though. I like them both, but I don't really care about noisiness considering the 512's are on my Miata everything else might be drowning out the tire noise.

·
Registered
971 Posts
firedog25 said:
I don't think the 512's are that loud, anyways, the 329 is the replacement and are non-directional. I will say that the 329 is quieter than the 512 though. I like them both, but I don't really care about noisiness considering the 512's are on my Miata everything else might be drowning out the tire noise.
Yeah, I doubt I can hear the tires over the intake and exhaust... The RT-615s aren't too noisy... I can still hear the intake.

Anyone tried the Fuzions yet? We have the H-rated ones on our RSX (wifes daily driver) and they've been pretty good. Good rain tires.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I use goodyear F1 with 195/50/r15, and they are great.l

1 - 8 of 8 Posts