ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to bore you with a story, so here's what happened on my way home from work today.

-Rounded a corner in 2nd, when car settled all power was lost. Tach went down to zero, all lights/electrical were still on though. I think taking the corner might have jiggled something loose something maybe?
-Tried to crank and restart while still coasting, and it made that grinding "the car is already on, dumbass" noise.
-Put the key back in the normal position and everything electrical suddenly died. Car would not crank either.
-Wiggled the cable on the + terminal on the battery and electricals came back on (hazards, etc).
-Car still wouldn't crank. Eventually, when I tried to crank all it did was make the clicking noise.
-Some guy pulled over and tried to help my jump/recharge my battery. The car tried to start but just didn't have enough to do so.
-He left, and about ten minutes later I tried starting it again. Spent about 3-4 minutes trying, and it almost turned over about 4 times before it finally started.
-Got it home (right down the street) and cut it off. It cranked right up with no problems.

It also did something similar last week. I was driving down the road, nothing crazy, no potholes, and it died just like it would as if I were to take the key out while moving. Electricals stayed on, and I pulled over and after a few tries it cranked up. Nowhere near as severe as this however.

Does anyone know what may be going on here?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
if you can, try to get a CAS from a 1.8l. It will work but you kinda have to stretch the wire to reach, but it works much better then the 1.6l CAS

1.6l = optical
1.8l = magnetic

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Sounds kinda like symptoms of a corroded or loose positive or negative battery cable, or some sort of corroded/loose wire. It seems like a bad CAS shouldn't make ALL the electrical die, i.e. radio/blinkers/etc.

I had something similar happen on my Mustang; sometimes it didn't want to start or just plain had no power. Wiggle the battery cables and boom, it started right up. I ended up cleaning my terminals and replacing the cable's lead end thingies, and that fixed it. That being said, it never died while running. That's weird.

Also, check your fuses and stuff. Obviously.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after my final exam today, I'm going to go out to Lowe's and get some cleaning stuff and I'm going to clean up the battery terminals (there's no acid though) and the grounds in the engine compartment. I also need to tighten down the + battery terminal. Hopefully my car won't die on the way to Lowe's :roll:

Anybody think it's the alternator?

·
Registered
648 Posts
An alternator will die completely, and all of your lights will dim/flicker when on the brakes. So it could either be the battery cables or possibly the chassis ground. But the tach dying first might still be an indication of the CAS failing as well.

Baking soda or a wire brush can clean the terminals and grounds but pick up a small packet of dielectric grease to coat the connections with. It will help seal out contaminants and is conductive to help seal the connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts