ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never put my car up here but you guys seem like my kind of car people so I figured I get your input:

It uses a v8roadsters standard kit
-Ls1 I rebuilt with an Ms4 cam/t56 6-speed
-Rx7 TurboII rear end/axles with Miata Roadster swap hubs
-Custom torque arm and traction bars
-Seam welded most of the car
-Tein coilovers
-HUGE ebay aluminum radiator
-ac/ps/heat delete
-sanderson shorty headers/custom 2.5" duel exhaust with no crossover/x pipe
-s2000 steering joint
-tooo much to list :blaugh:

I built this car with my dad as a father son project. We did EVERYTHING using HANDTOOLS and FLOORJACKS. The only thing we didn't do is rebuild the trans, I sent that out to Tick transmissions. We even do the wheel alignments on all our cars

I've been bringing this car back to life with a whole bunch of little modifications that all add up to a much better package. To start I purchased a proper welder that runs on a 220 line and not on my crappy garage 110 that was hindering my other welder.

-I re-seamwelded the transmission tunnel inside and outside
-had the trans rebuilt properly by Tick
-made the fuel tank bottom sump with an 8an fitting welded to the bottom
installed braided line and relocated the fuel pump to the bottom of the car where the original fuel filter went
-I strengthened up the mounting of my jdm ;) s2000 steering joint
-welded 90 degree 2.5" pipes to my headers and put flanges at the bottom
-strengthened my rear k-member
-installed a much larger aluminum radiator, and did a whole bunch of other things I can't think of right now.

My favorite new additions by far however are my 15x9 Nickel 6UL's wrapped in 225/45/15 Hankook RS-3's. Check it out

Please excuse the blurry pics and the 4x4 ride height. I'm lowering and re-aligning it soon so I'll get better pics

Please also excuse the misalligned exhaust pipes, I'm adjusting those the next time I get to work on the car

The 6th grade science fair looking coolant fittings above and in front of the valley cover are being replaced after the next home depot trip. That stuff was just lying around so I threw it together to make the car run

I have matching 3/16" steel plates with four holes each on the top side of the floor pan that the plates welded to the DOM tubing get bolted to. Also, while it was out of the car I seam welded it all up. The DOM tubing btw is 1.25" with .25" walls. Real over kill

here's the link to my build thread
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60177
it started as an f20c swap :claugh:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thing is beefy.

Cooool.
Thanks man, wanna talk about beefy you should see my torque arm. The thing fell on my neck once when I was putting it in, almost killed me. Its gotta weigh 75-80 pounds, looks like it could survive a nuclear attack and someone on ls1tech said it would bend:lol:. This is an old pic, since then it's been made even stronger and has been painted, but you get the idea

I think of this car now as some sort of mini part Japanese nascar

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why carb? So many EFI options for this engine. :(
Was winning till the carb part. meswell put a dirty old 5.0 in it lol
Ls1's see a 50+ hp increase just from a carb/highrise intake swap from efi alone. With this car I wanted to do everything myself and I don't have a dyno to correctly re-tune for upgrades. It came down to the fact that I didn't want to spend $500 for a re tune every time a different gust of wind blew by my intake and I wanted an extra 50 hp to bolt on. Makes sense to me. Efi is too complicated and too expensive.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday my dad's girl got fed up with the front lip on her 2010 Ford Escape and had me take it off for her. I got to looking at it and thought "I can make this fit on my Miata, might not look good, but it's worth a try". I trimmed the top of it all off to make it flat, got it fitted on with 1/4th Home Depot bolts/nuts then cut the ends off. Looks pretty good if you ask me. That morning, I never in a million years would have thought I'd be fitting my dad's girl's Ford Escape's lip on my Miata:woolery:. Also got my interior done:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Props. Nice work. Got any pics of the bracing you did the the interior?

Sent from my super cool phone, using my thumbs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Props. Nice work. Got any pics of the bracing you did the the interior?

Sent from my super cool phone, using my thumbs.
Thanks allot, I don't know exactly what you mean, but I seam welded 80% of the entire car if that's what you're referring to. Also I had to widen the trans tunnel which is standard procedure for these swaps

·
Loves V8s. Hates you.
176 Posts
How short is your first gear....?
TII rear end is a 3.93 or 4.10?

Using 3.23 my 1st is still useless.

And how much power you making with the cam and carb??

Ls1's see a 50+ hp increase just from a carb/highrise intake swap from efi alone. With this car I wanted to do everything myself and I don't have a dyno to correctly re-tune for upgrades. It came down to the fact that I didn't want to spend $500 for a re tune every time a different gust of wind blew by my intake and I wanted an extra 50 hp to bolt on. Makes sense to me. Efi is too complicated and too expensive.
50+ with a cam?
The LS1 pcm and EFI setup is extremely simple and tune it yourself.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could have just run the factory computer and bought an email tune, lol.
Or for all the money involved I could have made more hp with my current setup...which I did. Not hating on efi, but a carb suits this cars purpose

How short is your first gear....?
TII rear end is a 3.93 or 4.10?

Using 3.23 my 1st is still useless.

And how much power you making with the cam and carb??

50+ with a cam?
The LS1 pcm and EFI setup is extremely simple and tune it yourself.
I was refeering to the combo of the cam/carb conversion. Texas speed's claims a 30-65rwhp increase with their ms4 cam kit alone, but their probably exagerating. Horsepowertv did an experiment a while back where all they did was swap stock efi stuff for carb/highrise/msd. If I remember correctly they made an additional 80 or so hp. That was enough for me.

How much am I making with this setup? ALLOT:whistle:. The rear is 4.10, not sure about my 1st gear but its from a stock 2002 if that helps. 1st is pretty useless, even with the 225 rs3's, I still spin through 4th:eek:. What set up are you running?

Videos, or this is all just a photoshop.

JK, I love unusual swaps. Keep it up bro.
Sick! I'm in for a video as well! This is my dream swap someday.
Thanks guys, here's an oldie with my 100 pound ricer rims and my ex formula 4 driving uncle. Much has changed on the car since then

·
Registered
24 Posts
Serious props for doing all the work yourself...

but I'd strongly encourage you to buy a regulator and rent a cyclinder of argon/stargon.

and

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Serious props for doing all the work yourself...

but I'd strongly encourage you to buy a regulator and rent a cyclinder of argon/stargon.

and

[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="RickIntihar, post: 1082275, member: 4865"]Yeah, those are some poopy welds. I'd be afraid of doing structural welding with flux core.

My GTO is going carb'd eventually. Just gotta get those damn collectors plates to avoid emissions.[/QUOTE]

Those POS welds were done using a 110 line that could barely power a window fan. I tore the car apart again and reseamwelded everything with a proper Hobart 187 and a 220 line that actually powers the welder. I also re-did how the steering bolts to the frame

Carb is the way to go for easy hp, but the fuel economy is horrible. Good luck with what ever you do with it

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,877 Posts
Carbs just sound super bad ass! In my opinion carbs are less complicated because there's not really any electrical to worry about like fuel injection. I think I would do a carbed V8 as well if I ever did a swap and have Holley/Weber style velocity stacks on the intake.

Edit: Like this

1 - 20 of 57 Posts