ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor in my Miata is getting tired from the boost and abuse so I'm about to send her under the knife for a buncha stuff, so I'm looking to get another car. Being in college, I've been able to get away without needing a winter vehicle but now that I'm going to be in a house this year, I need a car to bring to school (and not worried about) and drive through winter.

I set my budget at ~$1,000 and I really wanted something bigger, but it's got to be 5-speed. I've found a bunch of Jeep Cherokee's, which I've heard to be very cheap and reliable. I want something I can buy with no problems and just run it. So anyways, after stalking Craigslist for a while, I stumbled upon a very clean 1993 Cherokee. It's a 2 door, 5-speed with 213,xxx miles. Perfect!

Here's where my questions are... From what I know, it's on the stock clutch. I would hate to buy one of these and have to drop money on a clutch replacement, should I be worried? It's also not 4x4, but they're including a set of fairly new all-seasons and a set of winter tires with one winter on them. She says it's gotten her through everything she's had to go through, should I wait until I find a 4x4 or would this be sufficient?

She wants $1,150, what do you think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Price out a clutch, there not expensive, and easy to do. Use it as a bargaining chip. Unless there is a foot of snow good tires and knowing how to drive will be plenty with 2wd

·
Registered
573 Posts
Anything you buy for $1k your most likely going to have to put money into. If the rockers look like that, check out the floors. Seems like thats the biggest place cherokees like to rot out.

·
··
4,227 Posts
Member 'j-radvw' might have more insight than most of us, just sold his Jeep project, so.
But, if you get in a rut, don't lift! You'll lose momentum and get stuck; don't floor it either or you'll spin and your tire will dig in too much and sink.
To me, of course I'd try to chew them down but for your purpose it doesn't look like a bad buy. Getcha a clutch and tune it up a little and go.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got a 96 Cherokee as my trail rig. It's been pretty damn relaible for a $600 craigslist buy. The I6 is good for 3-400K miles, I can't really speak to the manual though as I have an automatic. Get on over to Cherokeeforum.com and you'll learn anything you need to know good site and helpful members. I was pretty much a Toyota guy for my 4x4 needs before getting my Cherokee, and although it does have it's faults the drivertrain isn't one of them. Also, parts are cheap as hell, particularly from the pick-n-pulls and they are easy to work on.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^ Cool. They are built like tanks mechanically. I'm talking about the 4 liter 6 inline. The 4 cylinder versions not so much. Some might develop a few electrical gremlins here & there, but since there is so much "how to" information on so many forums, most issues are easily solved with a quick Google search & a little bit of tinkering.

I'm debating out of a 1995 to early 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 1989 to 1991 Isuzu Trooper, or 1995 to 1997 Mitsubishi Montero LS for 100% offroading action! Road trips too. :p

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
two of my Buddy's have cherokees a 92 2d the other 01 4d. there good jeeps and you will be happy with the 2d 4x4. my buddy with the 92 2d beats the **** out of his and has rolled it twice off road, and its still going. the only thing about jeep with the 4.0 is you will probably need to replace the oil pump they start going out around 70k. i need to replace mine soon in my 97 tj.

also jeepforum.com is a good place to start.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know much about the others, but I love what I'm hearing about these for the most part!

Here's the one I'll be picking up on Sunday:
Real clean and good looking 2 door you found (I really want a set of those vented rear windows). Check to make sure your door hinges aren't on their way out, real common, particularly with the two door models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts