ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started today with an interest in Aluminum radiators.
I have a miata(NA) as well as a couple of old mazda RX7's.
The cars are modded but are missing something under the hood. It's time for more aluminum.

What are some brands you are using on your miata and why??
Most of the radiators out there are rather expensive so what made you choose the one you probably have in your engine bay?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
you are looking for aluminium because of the way it works? Or are you trying to cool your car?

The Ron Davis Racing triple pass core radiator is the biggest off the shelf radiator you can get for a miata. It happens to look good too.

·
3,857 Posts
I would say stay with the stock one if your car is not Supercharged or Turbocharged and if you don't track your car all the time...

I got a PWR rad when I installed an intercooler in front of my rad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link Fritch. I took a look at that site and I must say I'm a bit skeptical about dealing with companies online that don't provide a phone number or address. Also, I ket Koyo aluminum radiators for about that same price.

Max...As I stated in my first post, it's not so much performance, I just want some nice looking parts under the hood. Call me ricer but I like the aluminum bling....LOL

I saw the Ron Davis radiator while searching online also. It is a nice unit.

I think at this rate though, with what I've found online and the pricing, I just might have to make my own radiators. Well not me, but have a company make some for me under my brand name. If I do that I will definitely come out with some RotaryHog units for the RX7's. of course.

Anyone else out there rocking any other brands??

Thanks for the responses so far.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I bought the koyo rad. unfortunately at the time the slim one wasnt in stock. So I had to get the bigger one, but it does its job and I am not at all worried about it cracking like my stock one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the link Fritch. I took a look at that site and I must say I'm a bit skeptical about dealing with companies online that don't provide a phone number or address. Also, I ket Koyo aluminum radiators for about that same price.
well its a good company, I know about a dozen people that have gotten a radiator from them, myself included with no problems.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the Koyo stock sized aluminum rad, got a good price on it from an eBay dealer who sells nothing but Koyo radiators. Page3racing or something like that, I'm not home so I can't check. However, if they don't have the dual row listed, just e-mail them. They can get whatever you want, they didn't have one of the 2002 WRX but said they could get it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay so I got an early start on today by making some calls.
I will know later today what kind of pricing I can get if I have my own radiators with my brand name on them made.

If I can get them competitively priced I will offer them to all of you and pass the savings on also.

Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:17 pm]The Ron Davis Racing triple pass core radiator is the biggest off the shelf radiator you can get for a miata. It happens to look good too.
I have this one. Been very very happy with it. Let me see if i can find a pic of it somewhere and post back in here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well today went well.
Pricing seems rather reasonable with the supplier I use. I will be able ot pass the savings on to the end user.
I will be placing an order for a small handfull of Radiators in Mid January and should have them in February.
I can have custom sized radiators made but I will start with all aluminum stock fitment (slightly larger core of course). After I see the quality of the final product I will offer a couple of radiators out on sponsorship to get some feedback and hopefully some abuse on the track.
I have 2 friends currently using radiators from the supplier I contacted and they have had no problems with them. 1 radiator is in a Turbocharged 1996 Acura integra GS-r that sees some track time once a month. It has been in the car for about 10 months with no problems. The unit used is actually a full race model intended for a Civic, since they aren't as wide as the integra it allowed for extra room for he turbo setup.
The other car using one is a 1989 Mazda RX7 with a 60-1 Turbo and some serious power. It's a daily driver with drift time almost every weekend. It had a cooling problem after the FMIC and turbo upgrade went in which prompted the installation of the aluminum radiator(stock fitment). It has been on the same Rad. for about 20 months now with no problems.

The line of RotaryHog performance products is about to get some new items. I'm excited, you should be to.
Pricing will be competitive and reasonable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay everything has gone well so far.
I will be looking over cost and shipping in able to better establish an M.S.R.P. on these units soon.
I realize that the first few units I release would best get some word of mouth, good or bad, if I offer them as sponsored pieces for some drivers to try out and give a review on them.

The first batch ordered will include a unit for the miata, FC RX7, FB RX7 and of course the 3rd gen FD RX7.
I also went ahead and placed order for the Civic full race radiactor since I have quite a few friends into hondas and there will also be a unit for my nissan S13 buddies.

I'll keep all those interested in this posted on details as they progress.
If all keeps going well you will soon see me as a sponsor on this great forum.

Till then,
Cheers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you never intend on going turbo, do a Koyo 37mm. If you plan on going turbo, run a PWR. The Koyo 55mm is overkill for everything except 300+rwhp track beasts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts