ClubRoadster.net banner

Which Aluminum Radiator would you choose?

• Racing Beat (KOYO)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flying Miata (PWR)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my stock radiator has developed some small spiderwebs on the top plasitc part (maybe will be cracks later?), however it has not started leaking yet, however being that it is the original radiator (1996) i dont know how much longer it will go, and i dont want to be stranded somewheres. So i can use this as an excuse to upgrade.

so which aluminum radiator would you pick if you decided to upgrade?

RACING BEAT
http://www.racingbeat.com/resultset.asp?PartNumber=56526

or

FLYING MIATA
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4532&parentid=0&stocknumber=09-17000

or maybe some other type? What do you guys think?

PhatMiata

·
1,213 Posts
if you are looking for something a bit cheaper there are loads of Koyo ones on ebay !!?

I got one from a USA vendor last year and it was good quality kit

·
Supporting Member
12,265 Posts
I recommend #3: Koyo 37mm. y8s is running the 37mm on his car with DIY turbo well over 200rwhp and he has no cooling issues. Also, Track Dog Racing only sells the 37mm because it works better with their "over the top" intercooler kits and they say the 55mm is just extra weight. Hard to go wrong with either but keep in mind the 55mm will interfere with some larger diameter front sway bars.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had thought about the 37mm, but figured the 55mm would be better for a turbo if i ever go that route?

PhatMiata

·
Registered
902 Posts
Randy-Since you are in FL. check R-Speed(Forum Sponsor) and maybe they can hook you up. I can get KOYO but since you are in FL. I would have to charge tax and if R-Speed can get it it might be cheaper for you without tax.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I put the 37mm Koyo in last year. Perfect fit and it sure helps with the a/c on during the summer here in Vegas. 8)

I purchased mine from Brian Goodwin.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
belacyrf,

Your setup ROCKS!

More details on the shroud and fans, please!

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
..........if you are looking for something a bit cheaper there are loads of Koyo ones on ebay !!?...............

I dont mind paying a few extra bucks in order to support a Miata Tuner, i will always support the tuners before i go to those guys on ebay just trying to make a quick buck. The Miata tuners are here for the long haul, and without them i would not be able to get half of the cool parts i have found.

Anyhow, looks like im leaning towards the Koyo as it stands now.

I have purchased from Racing Beat many times in years past SJ, no worries. :wink:

PhatMiata

·
Registered
902 Posts
I agree. There are some good reliable vendors out there and only a very very very few that have professional skills. Ask a tuner shop on setting up something as simple as a Ring & Pinion with just a wrench. Balance the Throttle plates on a IRTB car without a balancer. Or can they tune a carburetor. Or tear down and rebuild a tranny or build a Miata motor. I can go on and on. Ask them how much passion they have for a Miata? Not only that ask your E-bay for technical support on a product. I may not have the answer at that time but I will try to find out. I'll try to get one of my customers with the Koyo to go to the Tampa-Orlando meet.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, if you are gonna be at the Lakeland meeting i would like to talk with you about that piece and anything else you are selling, so maybe you can bring some goodies to sell too!!

Off-Topic
I talked with the Bill the manager at Hooters/Lakeland and he has no problem with tuners putting a table out with some parts for sale at the show, just let me know how many parking spots you need so i can tell him to cone off a section for your cars, and parts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
belacyrf,

Your setup ROCKS!

More details on the shroud and fans, please!
Thanks.. the fans are the AWR fan shrouds. Very solid polished aluminum shroud. The problem is the holes dont realy line up. I was using a rubber mallet often to get the holes to line up with the stock mounting points.
Here's a link to the product
http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=234

The fans are low profile SPAL fans (I forget the model number). Overall you save about 1/4 to 1/2" of depth not a whole lot.

Honestly if I were to do it again, knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone with the setup now being offered by Fat Cat.
http://fatcatmotorsports.com/fanshroud.htm

But at least now that mine fits I'm completely happy with it. It looks nice too :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thanks, if you are gonna be at the Lakeland meeting i would like to talk with you about that piece and anything else you are selling, so maybe you can bring some goodies to sell too!!

Off-Topic
I talked with the Bill the manager at Hooters/Lakeland and he has no problem with tuners putting a table out with some parts for sale at the show, just let me know how many parking spots you need so i can tell him to cone off a section for your cars, and parts.
I am still going to the meet with Randy/Clermont. I really appreciate it and plan on having items there. Since you guys like JDM I will share this. I spent the day with 10 CEO's and made connections with them and they are from throughout Japan. They are directly involved with HONDA JAPAN and just about every tuner in Japan from Mazda to Nissan. To stay on topic I really like the KOYO quality.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts