ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GOAL:
-Get car running with BP6D motor. OEM rebuild and balanced. I/H/E tune for now.
-Running sub 2:00 minutes at the Ridge Motorsports Park
-more cosmetic mods/ converting to become more comfortable

Hi guys I'm back from being MIA for almost 2 years now. I had a build thread a while back which the car was pretty much a stock 95 1.8l aside from coilover and brakes. It went on a few track days then the stock motor started to rod knock on me. I didn't have a garage previously and in the area I live I wasn't allowed to work on my car outside the garage so it was sent to a friend to have a vvt motor swapped in. New vvt motor has metal bits under the pan so it was then sent out to have motor rebuild. At some point he gave up so it was towed to another friend's place.

Long story short, we got the car up running after a long and difficult process because the car just wouldn't start. However after around 600miles of breaking in the motor started knocking again in July 15. I was sick of the car so it was sat until now. I have some workspace in my garage now so hopefully that will help.

This build's philosophy was to follow Emilio's 95R before he had the CNC head upgrades.I wanted a simple build so it's easy to fix and reliable. (The race track we occasionally visit is around 200 miles 1 way)
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-roadster-projects/56363-nb2-engine-95r-supermiata-street-project.html

I started this thread so I can get some advice and motivation. I have very limited skills but hopefully I can learn as much as I can. I'm targeting to have the car started before March-April.

Some specs on the car right now:
-vvt BP6D swap running MS basic from Reverant (I've received so much help from this guy. Props to him)
-tein flex 9k/6k, racing beat front sway
-z1 star specs on street, ra1 on track
-stock brakes with ss brake lines, xp10/xp8
-4.3 torsen
-roll bar, frame rails

Track event at the Ridge Motorsports Park

The day that it took 9 hours to tow home :\

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What bolt ons are you planning and will you go into the head?
here's what I have so far:
-AEM intake (wrapped just like the 95R)
-Racing Beat header
-Ebay test pipe (may have to get it extended or replaced because it runs a little short)
-Fujitsubo RM01a

The JDM motor is 10.5 CR and it's on the square top intake manifold already. I might do some port and polish, but nothing major.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,087 Posts
Motivation:

1. Join Vancouver Miatas on Facebook and meet Marlon.
2. Come down and play with MiataNW.
3. Keep going and hang out with the Portland track day bros.

One of these 3 groups will either motivate you to make your car amazing... or sell everything Miata in your life and move on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sub'd! In for VVT power! My engine rebuild is (hopefully) another year out at least but I'm always interested to see different setups. Especially those aimed more towards reliability. Glad you didn't give up on it!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Motivation:

1. Join Vancouver Miatas on Facebook and meet Marlon.
2. Come down and play with MiataNW.
3. Keep going and hang out with the Portland track day bros.

One of these 3 groups will either motivate you to make your car amazing... or sell everything Miata in your life and move on.
1. haha it's a coincidence but I know Marlon long before he owned his s2k or miata.
2. will do
3. I'm not sure if I'll go to ORP or PIR this year, but hey you never know!

Sub'd! In for VVT power! My engine rebuild is (hopefully) another year out at least but I'm always interested to see different setups. Especially those aimed more towards reliability. Glad you didn't give up on it!
Sure. Ask away and I'll answer as much info as I can.

Very excited you are bringing this back to life, I enjoyed your previous thread. I'm currently in the process of wiring a VVT motor into my '94 with a Reverant MS as well. Maybe we can share notes.
My friend did the wiring for me previously, but I did pulled and redid parts of the harness last year. I'll answer to be the best of my ability!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update. Been cleaning the garage so I can have some proper work space.

I've also snapped some reference photos before everything gets disassembled. Hopefully these photos can help some of you guys who are looking for some better pictures.

Link to the photos are here:
https://goo.gl/photos/nEprXvZbnqwK5oBX9

Starting to do some cleaning. After doing some googling, I found out apparently Dawn is amazing with getting grease off, so I'm going to give it a go:

Anyone have any suggestions on how I should clean the starter motor? Are the internals sealed from water? I want to scrub the whole thing but worried about water going in.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Sorry to hear about your earlier woes but the vvt swap is definately a wise, keep up the progress! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I honestly don't know if it's sealed or not but I did dunk it in purple power and pressure wash my starter lol. It still works.
Good to know. I'll try scrubbing with a tooth brush and dawn first :p

Nice! I knew your user name was familiar.

So cool seeing all these VVT builds taking place now. Very stoked for updates.
:)

Sorry to hear about your earlier woes but the vvt swap is definately a wise, keep up the progress! :icon_cheers:
This time things would be a lot easier since I'm doing most of the stuff myself. No one else to blame anymore than myself.

BTW for people who are new to dissembling the engine. I found a great video on youtube! (No block info)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts