ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of the lines for the oil cooler (if you can call it that) burst while on my way home the other day and after looking at it trying to figure out the easiest way to replace it, i figured i would take off the intake manifold.

after reading over http://www.servious.org/?pagebody=miataintake.htm i made an attempt to remove it. everything was going fine until i get to the point where i need to remove the nuts on the lower side of the manifold. tips on that would be great.

also, the line that burst was the one that goes from the back of the engine from where the temperature sensor is to where the oil filter is.

any tips on the easiest way to remove this line or the manifold would help so much.

p.s. anyone in the area who is more experienced in this type of thing and is willing to come over and help would be awesome. i could also provide a case of beer or such to those willing. PM me for offers :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I took off my intake manifold, the bottom ones are a PITA, but go from the bottom of the car, have a friend with small hands put the socket on the bolt, and you turn. thats how I did it, unfortunately I want able to tq them to spec :(

·
Registered
301 Posts
same problem here. except i had one of the gas lines spill some amount of gas in my eye. that HURTS!
i was able to take out bottom bolts by using long extender + short extender and ratchet. takes time to get socket on bolt (and i lost 2 sockets while at it)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I actually had to ask my father and a few friends who were helping me work around the Miata because I couldn't remember how I got the lower nuts off. General consensus is that I've got about a dozen joints in my arms cause I was able to maneuver my arm into position from above the car. I did everything by feel, but after 6 year in the military working on helicopters, I'm used to tight spaces and not being able to see sh!t.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
just use an extension, all the bolts can be easily reached. IIRC I simply used a deep socket for the furthest bolts (back and front)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts