ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up CR. After being in the VW "scene" for a few years, I decided it was time to move on to something else. I had hoped to purchase an e30, but test drove a Miata and fell in love. After a few months of searching for the right car, I finally found one that I liked and was the right price.

Picture of my old 95 golf:

I bought my red 1990 NA on March, 3rd for $1500. It's got 218k on the clock, but came with a second motor that has 104k on it. Mileage doesn't scare me and for the price, I couldn't pass it up. It also had a "newer paint job and top". Paint job isn't the best, but I can live with it for $1500.

My plans were/are to keep it simple and cheap. I only paid 1500 for the car, after all. First thing I purchased was coilovers. Since I wanted to keep it cheap, I decided to go with Rokkor's. I've never really been a fan of them, being that they're cheap and heard lots of bad things about them. But for the price, it was exactly what I needed. So I purchased them the day before I went to pick up the car.

While driving the car home, I found that there were some clutch issues. So I did a little research when I got home and found it was likely the clutch slave cylinder, master cylinder or both. Made a run to the auto parts store and pow, problem solved. :)

Coilovers finally showed up, so it was time to put them on. Strangely, they sent me all these extra parts? :p So I took them off and set them aside. (of course i know they aren't extra)

Next few things on the list were:
-Exhaust
-Front lip
-Wheels

Decided to keep with the theme of cheap, and bought an ebay R package lip. Then I started to search craigslist up and down to find wheels. I had no idea what I wanted, and I wasn't sure what offsets were good for the miata. I only knew offsets for mk3 vw's, since that's where I come from. In the end, I found some 16x8.25 et0 XXR 527's for $375 through a friend and it just so happened that my friend had an obx exhaust he didn't want so I picked that up in the same trip for $70.

I did a good bit a research before buying the wheels to make sure they would fit. I found if I rolled and slightly pulled my fenders a little that the wheels would fit. So I bought tires, got them mounted and started to roll my fenders. Unfortunately, it turns out that a DIY-er decided to do some repairs on the drivers rear quarter. This is probably the same person that repainted the car. They joined the panels with bondo at the top of the wheel arch, thus when I trying to roll the fender the body work cracked...:cry2:

touched it up with a little paint, so its not so obvious...

end result:

Thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bored. so a few updates to my car.

sold the XXR wheels. intention was to buy some 15" wheels, but ended up buying some 16" borbets on a whim. don't really like the borbets now though. hopefully i can sell them soon.

also picked up a Hard dog M1 single diagonal roll bar.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Start a build thread, or ask to have the title changed and the thread moved. You got that bar in pretty quick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts